Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1989 polaris indy 400. I am unsure where to attach my harmonic puller or gear puller. Do I use existing flywheel bolt holes with grade 8 bolts OR attach a gear puller(no bolts) somehow to the 3 flywheel openings/holes you see in the picture. Oem part 3083365. Rather frustrated with the manual as the rush right through this part. Just says to attach the puller and the referenced figure in manual is not much help.
2nd question, I chipped my flywheel , is this something I can jb weld or have a shop weld vs dropping 140 bucks on a used one?? Thank you!!
Wheel Automotive tire Rim Bicycle part Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
209 Posts
cant say for sure, i think the part that's cracked in pic is a belt pulley, should be aluminum , it should separate from the flywheel might be able to repair by welding ,and balance for zero no jb stuff or find a replacement. as far as removing goes ,one of two ways, pends on how it was made , one is in the three finger holes , the other would be the flywheel is threaded in the bolt holes, either way make sure you dont go to far with either puller set up and hit the stator , good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did eventually get the flywheel off. Cut in 5/16 holes into the previous 1/4 inch thread holes. Used the harmonic puller and came out pretty easily.
You are 100% correct, it is the belt pully for water pump. Are u saying I should not jb weld?? I do have a bid on one for 20bucks, so it's much more affordable than the flywheel. Thank you much!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
yep no jb if that comes off at 8000 rpms its gonna be like a bullet ,REPLACE remember if you altered the flywheel ,its out of balance now, are you saying you re taped 3 of the holes to 5/16 , if so do all of them , balance should remain the same remember you are cranking high rpms cranks don't like that

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I taped all 3. There are only 3 holes that are threaded. The other 3 homes in flywheel aren't threaded. I have to assume it would be balanced, maybe I will try to figure out now to confirm. Similar to sharpening a lawn mower blade, must be balanced, equal amounts taken off each side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts