Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of rebuilding my 97 XLT SP. I'm down to trying to get the damn flywheel off, but can't. I've now broken three seperate bolts on my flywheel puller, heated the end of the crank with a torch, and even tried using an impact gun on the puller to no avail.

Needless to say I just dropped the case off at a sled shop to see if they could get it off for me. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you get that frickin flywheel off !?!

PS The reason I'm trying to get it off is so I can change the oil seals on the crank. I was just going to change the PTO side, but I still cant seperate the case because I believe the stator is held on by two screws that go through the top of the case, and one that goes through the bottom.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You are right about the stator attached to both halves of the crankcase. I have had problems getting the flywheel off on almost every sled I tried. A top quality puller and strong impact gun are the only way. You are not alone. That part of the engine rebuild is the only part that stresses me any more.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had this problem with a flywheel once. You said you broke a couple bolts already, so did I and then it also ruined the first few threads in the flywheel. I re-threaded the holes and used the next size bigger standard bolt instead of metric. I bought some harder grade bolts also. Then make sure you have them all threaded into the flywheel the same distance so the puller pulls evenly. I would recommend tightening it slowly with hand tools, let it sit tight for a while, maybe heat it, then use the air gun. Should pop right off.......or something will pop!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Carefull when heating the flywheel.the magnets are only glue on ,many have melted off and ruin flywheel.grade 8 bolts are a must.yes they are tough to remove

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I just reread your post Tfin and noticed you said you heated the end of the crank. What you should be trying very carefully is to heat the flywheel and not the shaft at all. You want to expand the flywheel bore. The magnets are bonded on the flywheel with some sort of adhesive. so you cant heat too much. Just a word of caution for anyone removing flywheels. safety glasses and I usually put a heavy rag over the assembly while pulling. Also I dropped one accidently from about 3 feet above the ground. It shatered and was unusable. Very Expensive part.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies and advice everyone. As I previously stated, I gave up on it and dropped it off at a local sled shop this morning to let them deal with it. My blood pressure was getting a little too high. I'll let you know how they make out with it.

If the sled shop breaks the flywheel while they're trying to get it off, are they obligated to supply a new (or used) one at no cost to me? Or is that just the way the "flywheel crumbles" and I have to pay for the new one? Just curious. Thanks again.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
i have had that problem before on many sleds. i used a good puller and got it to the point of not being able to tighten the puller anymore then used a rubber mallet and tapped the end of the puller and they have always popped right off

i cant take a day without my polaris Let alone a lifetime.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts