Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sled - 2000 Arctic Cat ZL 580.

After I cleaned my driven clutch and replaced the spring, I realized I had forgot to make alignment marks on the 2 clutch halves. I put it all back together, added preload, then ran the sled on a stand. It seemed to run ok without vibration but my questions are: 1) are there any factory alignment marks on the driven clutch assembly? 2) is there a way to tell if I aligned the halves correctly? 3) how do I add preload to the clutch ?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I don't have an answer for the first 2. Preload is easy enough. To increase driven preload you need to change the spring location to a higher hole. Take the clutch apart, and set the spring in the next hole up, like #3 or #4, if stock is set at #2.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You don't have to have both halves of a secondary clutch aligned, as both have to be balanced separately. Think about it: as the clutch opens along the helix, it is going to rotate, not move in a straight line like the primary clutch, which does require both halves to be aligned. As the moveable sheave is rotating, it will not be aligned to the same spot on the fixed sheave before it started rotating. You should be okay.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts