Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone...i have a 1998 skidoo formula 500 sl and i need it to have a little more under the hood. ive been lookin around and cant find any performance mods for it. i was just wondering if anyone knows of anything for it?? thanks

·
Registered
725 Posts
you wont find a whole lot for performance upgrades with that sled, since its fan-cooled. They are very nice sleds, a buddy of mine has one, and except for the EXTREMELY weak rear suspension it has been an awesome machine. I believe the TRA clutch on those are somewhat adjustable, there should be bolts you can see on the clutch that can be turned to different settings, I am not sure what to set it too but I have seen that on my buddies SL. You can also play with the gearing, those sleds are geared pretty low from the factory, I believe its a 21/45 ratio, which means good low end power, and they doo have very good low end for what they are. My buddy has found that with his, the best upgrade you can do to those things is a better track, they only have like a .5 inch lug track stock, last winter my buddy went with a 1 inch full block camo track and it was a big difference, next winter he is thinking of going with a 1.5 , plastic skis are always a big improvement too!..... Keep an eye on your voltage regulator, they seem to have a flaw in them on those era ski-doos, my buddies SL just had a voltage regulator burn out in it, and last winter his dads 97 touring 440 had one burn out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought the same machine except a 1997. I was also wondering about mods.... I agree about the rear suspension.... I think that will be the first mod I do.

Does anyone else have any comments about these machines...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Used to own a 95 SL, SC-10 rear suspension was always out of it and into the welding shop kept breaking the front arm mount to the rails. cracked then split, many times. Rode that machine hard, it was too much fun not to catwalk it everytime I launched, took its toll on the outer crank bearings and spun them in the case, tore it right to hell. Sold the machine for 350 with no engine. traded the existing fan parts for a top end rebuild kit for a polaris 500 I built. Not a bad sled, nice and lite. 56hp at 7100rpm from the factory. not much you can do for mods. clutching and gearing, carbs (TM), custom exhaust if you have access to a welder and torch. Run 91 for optimum bang. Their a fan engine. What else can I say.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts