Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a 98 formula 583 for my son (16) - is there anything in particular I should be looking at on this model - any known problems? - Is it a fairly reliable sled??

I have not had a snow mobile since I was about 20 (very long time ago) and am completely out of the loop as far as what is and is not a good machine.

I welcome any and all comments and suggestions

Thanks

[red]This was moved to Ski Doo brand specific for better exposure.

edited by rev500ss[/red]

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I owned a 96 583 for a short time although there is not much I can tell you about it, it was a decent sled. Good power in them. Far as I know the bomby 583 is a good motor and reliable if maintaned.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
The 583 is one of the solidest motors you'll find, it was even approved for small aircraft(altra lights). Never any big issues with this motor and ski-doo kept it in production from back in the late 80's (521cc) up tell around 98 when they stopped it. So I wouldn't worry about the motor one bit. Ive had all ski-doo's and the majority of them have been 583's.

The S-chassi is a simple chassi, but it tends to be a little tippy. Every chassi has its ups and downs and this was the worst for tipping at to fast of speeds. Parts are a dime a dozen for this S-chassi. Seems to be many of them around for parts etc.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
As 440 said, great motors and great sleds overall. I'm not familiar with them as far as how they ride, but I have yet to hear anything bad about them. Only good so far.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I had a 98 Formula Z 670 and it was a solid sled. The 583 and the 670 where bullet proof motors. My only issue was the suspension. I believe they had 2 different styles. I had the crappier one, the earlier model. The shocks where not replaceable. I could not find a replacement set for them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 93' Formula Plus 583, running strong, all i need is a new track ;) hopefully ill get that for christmas

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
great sled ,super engine

·
Registered
539 Posts
583 was a great motor.
durrable? yes it was.
powerfull? yes it was. 102 hp in stock forum

1 - 9 of 9 Posts