Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an interesting article that some of us can relate to. Happened here in Minneapolis,MN. From the Minneapolis Startribune:

William Cooper, the chief executive of TCF Financial Corp. and a former state Republican Party chairman, has lost his court battle to overturn a ticket for speeding on his snowmobile.

Hennepin County District Judge Philip Bush on Thursday found Cooper, as well as a TCF employee who was riding beside him on Lake Minnetonka last February, guilty of speeding and gave each until next Friday to pay a $105 fine.

In an unusual trial this month that covered parts of two days, Cooper, one of the most politically connected people in Minnesota, took the witness stand and said the deputies who used a radar gun to nab him had been operating "a Louisiana speed trap." He said his court challenge was part of his occasional "jousting at windmills about what governments do."

Cooper's lawyer had filed a 21-page legal brief that among other things contested the authority of the Lake Minnetonka Conservation District to set speed limits that are lower than the statewide limits set by the Department of Natural Resources.

Cooper was clocked traveling at 48 miles per hour but insisted that the DNR had set a 50-mph limit on lakes. The Conservation District, however, had established its own speed limits, including one of 40 mph within 1,000 feet of a shoreline.

Cooper also contended that he was actually on Seton Lake -- and not Lake Minnetonka -- when the ticket was issued and that the agency did not have jurisdiction there.

But Bush disagreed. The district, Bush said in a six-page memorandum Thursday, has a "sufficient grant of authority" by law to regulate snowmobile speeds on Lake Minnetonka.

He also dismissed Cooper's argument regarding Seton Lake, saying the "area referred to as [Seton] Lake is all within the Lake Minnetonka shoreline."

Cooper, who was unavailable for comment, has 10 days to challenge the ruling in the state Court of Appeals.

"The judge is a wise man," Steven Tallen, an attorney for the Conservation District, said in applauding the ruling. "Obviously, Mr. Cooper has the resources to appeal if he chooses to."

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
That is a bunch of BS..[:(!] It is not like the guy got clocked going 80 mph!!

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Just to add, where the guy was is a 15 mph zone. They dont state that in the article.

[edit] He is some rich guy trying to get out of something....

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Originally posted by snowjimmy
[br]
Cooper was clocked traveling at 48 miles per hour but insisted that the DNR had set a 50-mph limit on lakes. The Conservation District, however, had established its own speed limits, including one of 40 mph within 1,000 feet of a shoreline.
What a crock!! I really can't believe some of the stupidest laws are enforced around here. I live right here in Minnetonka the suburb, but i don't ever ride on Lake Minnetonka.

That's good information to know, but I can't believe he got a ticket going only 48 mph! I think the officers should be ticketing those guys going 100+ mph on this busy of a lake, rather than picking on the casual easy rider.

>>For those of you who are unfamiliar with the area, Lake Minnetonka is extremely popular with recreation, both in the summer and the winter, so the law enforcement is abundant.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Mega Man he was 35mph over the speed limit... I fly through the same area he was, i just know to stop around the cat tails cuz that's where they coppers sit. I dont like the law I am just stating that this guy broke it and got caught. If it was me i would have paid the ticket and been done with it.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
^^^^ I agree if it is the law it is the law and we do have to follow it no matter how silly it is[V].. 15 mph -- my sled will foul plugs going that slow [:D]

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
lol mine to man mine too. mine dont liek the slow speeds. im just gald there is no speed limits here

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Originally posted by Darkstar
[br]Just to add, where the guy was is a 15 mph zone. They dont state that in the article.

[edit] He is some rich guy trying to get out of something....
Oh, ok, i didn't see this until after i posted. Makes sence now... [8D]

·
Registered
352 Posts
thats what i love about alaska...we have no speed limits up here :D you just hall butt and grin till your mouth is frozen wide open from the wind chill....do all lakes down there have speed limits?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Yep that 15mph speed limit is crazy. The channel he was going through is one that does not always freeze under the bridges. It has a nice little blind corner with open water... We creep up to the channel make sure we dont see anyone coming and let her rip till we get through the bridge then Slow down so you can see if there are any PO-PO's sittin in the cat tails. The other thing he had going against him is that one of the Local Watering Holes is right on the channel so there are always people leaving after a couple of drinks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts