Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. i was walking down the road today and i spotted a white spot in the bush. i thought, holy $#!%, snow! But when i got a little closer(within 100 feet) i noticed it was a white sled. A 1976 Polaris 340 colt. everything is there and the engine isn't seized at all. some gas oil and a few good pulls and i bet she'd start. It is in amazing condition and i even found the original owners manual in the back puch, along with some spare parts. Well anyways i'm gonna talk to the guy who owns the land and see if i can get it, legally. Do any of you know about these machines? what are they worth? just whatever you know about them i would love to here.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm gonna run over there right now and take some pics for you guys.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Wow, good find. isn't there a saying like that "a polaris in the hand is worth 2 in the bush", or something like that.

Feel free to roll your eyes, that's what my kids do when I act goofy.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
That sounds cool, see if he will let you have it for free..?

·
Registered
290 Posts
i owned a 76 polaris 340 tx, and having my buddy in his '00 ZR 600 run next to me, he clocked me at about 88mph. which, if the spedo was accurate, would be pretty good for a sled of that era/size. it rode comfortable, but i ended up replacing the torn seat with one from a 91 indy (nearly identical!), the old cleated track with a new one, and adding a newer suspension. but the old thing would start up on the 1st or 2nd pull every time, was a solid runner til the end (sold it to a buddy in '01 for $250 and bought a '02 600 edge x). here are some sites about the '76 models, hope you enjoy[8D]
good luck with buying that old beast, keep us updated
http://www.gooselakeauto.com/76brochure.htm
http://www.lorrieanne.ca/colt.html

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heres some pics:
/polarisman/../images/users/InDy_BoI/Mvc-059f.jpg
The owners manual
/polarisman/../images/users/InDy_BoI/Mvc-060f.jpg
Only 538 miles!!
/polarisman/../images/users/InDy_BoI/Mvc-061f.jpg
/polarisman/../images/users/InDy_BoI/Mvc-062f.jpg

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had 2 of those sleds.Well my dad did when I was a kid. I had alot of fun on them very reliable. I can't imagine it's worth much but if you can use it enjoy it !

Rich

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No he's away but should be back this week some time

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
That looks like a pretty nice rig. I would see if the guy wants it and buy it from him. Restore it, seems like everything is pretty nice looking on it still so I would go for it.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
My aunt and uncle have one identicle to that, theirs came with their cabin when they bought it a few years back. Theirs is almost show room condition though. I believe it tops out around 45 mph and its a very tipsy little sled. Wait, maybe theirs was a 244? seems like it was a tiny engine. Either way, the chassis is identicle to the one you pictured and its a fun little sled to ride, just dont expect much in terms of speed and suspension. My uncle uses it for trips out to the ice shanty...works great for that. Good luck with the transaction.

·
Registered
366 Posts
295 maybe? We used to have a 340ss and 2 295ss' tippy yes but fun none the less

Rich

·
Registered
553 Posts
Fix her up and hang onto it for a few years and enjoy. If still running and looking good, then to the right guy out there you could get as much as $800.00 for it. It looks all there and low miles on it. I bet just a good cleaning and we would'nt even recongize it. Had a 76 tx 250 that would top out at 60mph. I know the tx line was a faster sled then the others the same size. I also had a cobra 440 that a 340tx could almost take. Fun to still ride. Hope ya get it!

·
Registered
93 Posts
that just brought back a whoosh of great memories. mine has red spray paint flames, and only turned left, but dang i loved it. great sleds, last forever, turn left wonderfully, perform surprisingly well! probably not worth jack, but think of all the fun you'll have!

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Tell him you would be glad to remove that eyesore off his propety for FREE! LOL!

·
Registered
802 Posts
I don't understand people who just let things sit outside to rot. Looks like a great find and I hope your able to buy it and clean it up real good. Only 538 miles!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My neighbor is comming home this weekend and I'll offer to remove it for him. They just bought the lot so they probobly don't even know it's there. I'll clean it all up and put different front and rear suspension assemblies on it, then post some pictures, expect them next summer. it'll be a slow project, cuz i got others on the go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts