Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I don't have a snowmobile nor have I ever ridden one before. However I am an Urban Explorer and today I found a mostly collapsed house and nearby a shed. Inside the shed was an Arctic Cat El Tigre snowmobile, manufactured September 1977. I didn't get what specific model it was. It only had two gauges on it. Seemed complete but the hood was off and set to the side. I tried to pull the starter but it really didn't budge. Either it was in gear or the engine was seized. Had a two cylinder and the left cylinder had a broken sparkplug in it. This property has been abandoned for around 20 years and is completely overgrown. The vin # was 8037675. I was just wandering if anyone could decode that vin. I was trying to identify the exact model but was unable to find a picture of one with the same dash. FUN FACT: This property is about 2 miles from where the original "Night of the Living Dead" was filmed back in 1968. Thank you for your interest!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’m going to take a stab at it and say it’s a 1978 elTigre 5000 with a 500cc f/a Suzuki/spirit engine. B.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There’s not much information available in the vin# of those years, only model year(1st number). The 2 gauges would be cylinder temp(L-R) on left and Speedo on right. 5000 would have been embossed on each side of seat towards rear. There is likely a plate riveted to the bulkhead with the model. B.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There’s not much information available in the vin# of those years, only model year(1st number). The 2 gauges would be cylinder temp(L-R) on left and Speedo on right. 5000 would have been embossed on each side of seat towards rear. There is likely a plate riveted to the bulkhead with the model. B.
Thank you very much for the reply! I appreciate all the information. I believe you're right on the gauges, the one on the left did have a temp gauge at the top and something else underneath of it like how many degrees your skids were turned or something like that. The right gauge I do believe was a speedometer. The pictures were taken with a 3 year old flip phone with a fairly scratched lens so unfortunately the gauges didn't really show up well. Thank you again for all the information :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts