Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after finding out that my 99 700 XC SP had a toasted motor in it I went out on the hunt for a new motor. The guy I am getting it from sent me pics of the gauge since I asked him to show me the reading of both cylinders anyway it has 120 PSI on one side and 125 on the other how good is that for a motor that has 3,000 and change for miles on it? To my knowledge the motor has been trouble free.

Thanks,

TEPNMN

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
every guage is 1-3 psi off, so im guessing your right at 123psi in each cylinder, personally, that is a TAD low, but still very strong. 3000ish miles are low for those motors. What is wrong with your current motor? whats this guy want?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
that motor sounds to have a lot life left in it dude! 120-125 psi is pretty good for those motors with 3000 miles. price?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dragon700 said:
that motor sounds to have a lot life left in it dude! 120-125 psi is pretty good for those motors with 3000 miles. price?
Well what happened to mine I bought a sled guy said it was in perfect running order was not I found out anyway all 3 crank bearing were shot,bad cylinder,and a piston. Have a close friend that helped me score this one anyway my beat up motor plus $700 is what I scored it for. So all in all I think I scored pretty well.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
$700 and your old motor? not the greatest buy, not worst either.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jesse500 said:
$700 and your old motor? not the greatest buy, not worst either.
Ok anyone else wanna chime in that I either got taken on price or the results of the compression test? It's still not too late for me to back out of this motor. I just want to get a good feel if I got a good deal or not.

Thanks [thumb]

TEPNMN

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I feel like PSI might be a little low for a 700, I would feel safer if they were over 130. however, 120/125 is still good.
$700 would be a good price for 700 motor, but 700 bucks and you have to trade in your motor... ehhh... I wouldn't be willing to part with a blown motor and still pay that much. still lots of money tied up in parts on a blown motor. It would be better to pay more for a motor with better PSI and keep your old one so you can sell the good parts on it- and most likely you will end up spending less than $700.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
I feel like PSI might be a little low for a 700, I would feel safer if they were over 130. however, 120/125 is still good.
$700 would be a good price for 700 motor, but 700 bucks and you have to trade in your motor... ehhh... I wouldn't be willing to part with a blown motor and still pay that much. still lots of money tied up in parts on a blown motor. It would be better to pay more for a motor with better PSI and keep your old one so you can sell the good parts on it- and most likely you will end up spending less than $700.
I would tend to agree with PP MN on his comments, your "blown" motor has/had value. Bad cranks usually get a $100 core, cylinders-$10-$20, head-$25, stator-$100, crank case-$100, and depending what else you let go with it like carb boots, cdi, etc. The motor cost is about right, as I have a '99 700 (non-ves) motor that I did a complete overhaul on the bench now ready to drop in one of my sleds. The blown motor would have brought your out of pocket expense down, could have liquidated parts on this site and or E-Bay. As for the compression, 120-125 is good, not to worry there

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I have a 2001 700xc BB motor, 135psi, new crank(rebuilt).... for sale........ But other wise, like you can get a good used(referb) crank for $300, gasket kit for $80, top end for $300, cylinder bore and replate for $200 pair. $900 give or take, your original motor is like brand new, and you knwo exactly what you have........

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well motor is in and running [thumb]. Did my own compression tests after the guy who I got motor from did a "mild test" by that I mean he did not hold it wide open and check he was afraid of blowing it up. Here is my reading with it wide open 135 and 133 and to top it off he gave me the warranty papers from the shop who rebuilt it last fall come to find out they put the bigger bearing in it and it has a warranty until late next year. So all is good thanks to all who helped and answered my questions on this.

TEPNMN

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Good to hear it's in and good to go. But one thing, thought you said to your knowledge it was trouble free? Then why the rebuild? Or did you already know that? Just curious.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wakeboarderboy said:
Good to hear it's in and good to go. But one thing, thought you said to your knowledge it was trouble free? Then why the rebuild? Or did you already know that? Just curious.
All the paperwork from the shop states is customer requested the big bearing kit. And that was all that was done to it-I went as far as to call the shop since the guy that I got it from told me he takes all his things to them and had them check if anything else has ever been done to his sled in particular and they said only time he came in is to have them fog it for him and to put the bigger bearing in it. So I am good to good for this coming season and I will make sure I won't beat the snot out of right out of the gate I will take it easy just to see what "it says to me" if all is good then I will tear up the trails around here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts