Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I talk about Yamaha a lot but I seriouslly think they will come out with the best four stroke. I mean look at what we have seen so far. We had cat come out with an ok one. Then Polaris was a little faster but worse vibration and louder. Then SkiDoo/Rotax came with their 1000 V-Twin and we see what some real life four stroke experience wins you. I bet that when Yamaha enters the field their Four Stroke will be the best. I am basing this assumption on their four stroke dirtbikes, ATVs, Boat engines, and all their many motorcycles. I mean they have the real life experience to make one kick ass sled engine. I hope to see it soon.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you really believe that? well they do have their Victory bikes but not sure what they can gain from that since those aren't really big performers. Their 4 Stroke ATVs are nothing to be wowed over though the new V-Twin is nice.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Do you guys really think that the 4-stroke revolution is performance based? I see it as a low emissions, low noise cruising style sled that will keep environmentalists happy and perhaps lure older people back in to snowmobiling. Yes a 4 stroke may produce more torque, but at the cost of lots of added weight. Usually we think of big heavy sleds in one of three categories: touring, utility, and lake runners. The benefits of a 4 stroke fit touring and utility perfectly. But I'm not so sure we'll see a 4 stroke beat up on everyone at the lake. And the weight will probably be an issue for a performance trail application. With this in mind, Yamaha would cannibalize by producing a 4 stroke "performance" sled because it would intrude on the territory of its own excellent triples.

TOO MUCH IS JUST RIGHT!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Watch for Honda to introduce a four stroke sled. I believe they lead the market in four stroke outboard technology and they introduced the first four stroke PWC. Rumor has it they are developing a turboed or supercharged four stroke engine for a sled. I'm sure it won't be an all out performance sled but it will probably be built rock solid.

RtkatZL8
2001 ZL800
Delta IIs
Power Breather

Creek beds don't make good brakes!

MBRP Silencer

·
Registered
167 Posts
ok heres the deal like it or not 4 strokes are here to stay and slowly two strokes will be gone!, i dont like it!! as im sure most of you feel the same, but the tree huggers and dep are urging the gov. to rid us of 2 strokes because they are "dirty"for the envioroment, it is already going on in the dirtbike world making companys to scramble to make a 4 stroke to be competive with 2 strokes, and once they get everyone beliveing they are better they will phase out 2 strokes, but as long as i can rebuild my 2 stroke i will!!!, and something for you to think about, most 4 strokes need double the displacement to make the same power and they are a much more complacated with valves and timing chains ect.. so when it comes rebuild time be prepared to spend some serious cash as compared to a easy do it yourself 2 stroke rebuild, im all for 2 strokes as you may have guessed , my snowmobile is 2 stroke and so is my dirtbike and when there tuned right theres nothing as good!

if its not a CAT, then it must be a dog!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
i disagree vetboy. i did my term paper on this very subject, and i believe direct injection will be the future of high performance sleds. the trail cruisers will probably continue to be the platform of four stroke development. i believe ski-doo will be the first to use di, since ficht technology was recently bought out by bombardier- ficht was what polaris used in their di watercraft. although i don't have the exact formula with me right now, to equal the performance capabilities of a two stroke, a four stroke must double either the pressure of air entering the engine, the speed of the engine itself, or the displacement of the engine. the supercharging, turbocharging option is the most feasible at this moment it time. i think with the current progress being made with di, it will lead the way into the future of cleaner, but equally powerful and lightweight snowmobiles as those we ride today. by the way, i got an A on that term paper.

'99 XC SP 500

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
As I was watching the good ol' idiot box i came across snowmobiler tv so of course i turn it on to see that by 2006 that snowmobile emissions must be cut by 30 percent meaning clean up the 2 stroke emissions or start riding 4 stroke boats. Of course i know that by then we could have 4 stroke race sleds but it just doesn't seem like it looks too good.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes...

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haven't seen snowmobiler TV in a while what channel was it on?

Edited by - Sled_Dog on January 12 2002 8:07:31 PM

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
well guys, i think the manufacturers are implementing these 4 stroks so that the can keep building the 2 strokes...snowmobile emissions must be cut by 30%. So if they sell 70 two stroke sleds, and sell 30 four stroke sleds, they will acheive their goal of a 30 % cut in emissions. Now those numbers are just an example but you know what i am talking about. Not every sled has to cut its emissions, but the total emissions of all sleds combined needs to be cut by that much.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Sled_Dog:

haven't seen snowmobiler TV in a wh[/quote]

It was on sprotsnetpacific (Canada). Don't know if you get that channel down there but i think that that is the one that it was on.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I just remembered from my other post that it also said that by 2010 it must be down to at least 70 percent reduced emissions meaning that 2strokes may soon be a thing of the past, but hopefully not.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Secret Sno Pro 4-stroke race sled????? Maybe. I just returned from Round 4 of the WSA Polaris Cantebury Snocross in shakopee, MN and there is something very fishy about some of those new Open Mod Sno Pros they where racing. There was about 3 of the new sno pros that had a very very strange sounding engine, as if it was mis-firing and sputtering with a steady rythim, but it was going just as fast as all the rest of the racers; including the A-arm ski-doo! It sounds just like when you foul out a plug on your own snowmobile, except for the fact that these racers where hauling a$$!! I've been to a few Super bike pro races and they almost resemble the sound of a Ducati four-stroke race engine! I'm wondering if Cat has something up their sleeve that they are keeping undercover. Maybe, they are using a race bred version of their currently available 3-cylinder, 4 stroke engine, but my ears lead me to believe it may also be a 4-stroke twin. Either way, they did not sound anything like all the rest of the Mod twins from Cat. Even all of my buddy's i went with noticed it.

Could this just be a funny sounding cat, or is there really something new lurking beneath??? Anybody out there know more about this?

By the way, i'm a Polaris fanatic, but i was Extremely impressed at the performance of Ski-doo's new A-arm sleds. They WON nearly every race they entered!!!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really really doubt that cat went from the slowest four stroke to a very fast race worthy engine in a year. I could see Yamaha doing it cause they have their motocross bikes and all their other stuff but all cat has is big heavy utility quads and generators. I am not saying it is impossible but I would bet money that it is just a pipe setup that you take to sounding odd. Maybe something in the timing was altered.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
yamaha doing it? they just as well use it to test out their 4 stroke in a sled, i mean, they have nothing to lose on the snocross circuit- maybe it would help em win, or place in a few races.

it isn't a sport if you can't die doing it

'99 XC SP 500

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by bigwilly:

I just remembered from my other post that it also said that by 2010 it must be down to at least 70 percent reduced emissions meaning that 2strokes may soon be a thing of the past, but hopefully not.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes...[/quote]

By 2010 they had to be cut by 50%

I have to agree with Sled_Dog, if Yamaha comes out with a 4-stroke it's most likely gonna be a good machine, if it's anything like the 426F and the 250F dirt bikes. Yamaha also has really good engines in four wheelers.

I also detest 4-strokes and I think if tree huggers have such a huge problem with 2-strokes, they should plant more trees, don't they clean the air? Instead of hugging, plant new

So, if it's by 2006 that it all has to be so low on emissions, I'm buy a sled in 2005. No 4-stroke crap is gonna be sitting on my lawn/snow.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I Love B&M Coasters.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will run a two stroke as long as I can. Like my uncle said even if they means buying a new chassis and puting my old Two Stroke engine in it. I won't go that far but he will :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
i bet we see honda hit snowmobile engine market, maybe team with a/c or polaris or ski-doo not yamaha tho... they have a 4 stroke development team. honda has 4 stroke bikes with the same power as a 2 stroker so... i bet on it

Duct tape much like the force... it has a light side, a dark side.... and it holds the world together!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
i think it was snowtech that recently said honda is almost certainly out of the snowmobile market, but i'm not sure. could be interesting.

it isn't a sport if you can't die doing it

'99 XC SP 500

1 - 20 of 42 Posts