Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm sticking the money into my motor to replace the pto side of the crank and bearings and such, I guess now is a good time to do some updates.

Looked around and couldn't find any solid info on how to exactly do this.

From what I've seen, it looks like the pto oil line hooks up to the upper case half. On mine, it looks like I'd have to hook it up on the lower half.

2010123012436453_24996.jpg
20101230124320640_24996.jpg
The top half seems to have no previsions for a fitting, while the lower half has a boss that's centered between the bearings.
Has anyone hooked up to the bottom without any clearance problems or anything? Or is there a different way to do this?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I was able to just use the bottom boss for the oiler on my old MY96 -03 block. Find a brass 90* fitting, drill your hole on the bottom, and press in the brass nipple with Locktite red. You'll need a oil pump off of a -04 engine(ie. MY97+ 597cc Mono-blocks[XC, XLT]). When you drill the hole through, make sure you chamfer the hole really wide, that way you'll be getting the most out of it. Are you rebuilding the crank? Are you going to weld the crank afterwards? I didn't on mine, but it really wasn't abused ever. Those Xtra12's with the -03 engines were whacking off the index on the cranks because the suspension would put a heavier torque feedback to the engine when the track would go from loose to hard-packed snow or when the track came off the ground with part or full throttle back onto the ground. Just food for thought...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The top half has the place to put it in. That little outcropping on the PTO end. I've done it before. Drill straight down through that outcropping, install a pipe with no valve. Tap into place tightly. You may have to Dremel the jug 1-2mm to get the oil line on. Tight fit.

I did it and worked fine but sold it, so I'm not sure if it's still on the trail....

I think I have a 4 line pump laying around too. Let me know if you need it.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TrailRebel- Yes, have to put a NEW pto side on. The rest is in good shape. Not welding it.

Dman- Wow, that's pretty tight on the top. I'll take a look at that a little more closely. I might be able to get a fitting from an engine at the salvage yard. Haven't looked for a pump yet. If I can't find one, I'll let you know.

Thanks guys!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts