Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i havent driven my sled yet but how do u know if i need this done. when i sit on it it feels pretty stiff. when i lift up the back end it feels like there is a lil play. and in the front when i push on the bumper the shocks dont really come back up.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i could tell on my PS last year when riding, whent hey just felt mushy and could feel it bottoming out

·
Registered
711 Posts
Fox shocks should be rebuilt every 1500 to 2000 miles. Ive done a ton of these shocks and after 2000 miles the oil is shot and the nitrogen pressure is usually down quite a bit.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
If it isnt springing back up it is most likely the springs needing to be replaced but you should do a rebuild every year on Fox shocks.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Usually the problem is the shock deteriates so slowly that it's hard to notice them going bad. I rebuilt the fox shocks on my xlt last year at 1,500mi. At that time I was noticing the shocks were fading quicker and bottoming out easier.

A friend of mine has the same sled with 4,000mi, and has never had the shocks rebuilt. I was able to switch off on the sleds after my rebuild and the difference was significant. Was firmer, yet more plush when they had to be.

The guy who rebuilt mine said they should be good for another 2k, as the seals and stuff are better then the orignals, and should last longer.

So depending on the milage or year (will go bad over time even if not riden), I would just ahead and get 'em rebuilt. Plus when you drop the rear skid, it gives you a good oportunity to go over it real good. Replace the slides if their close, check your shaft bearings, clean it up, grease it good, etc...

/snofan/../images/users/pigboy/12-05-020013.jpg

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
At the minimum every year the oil in the shocks should be changed and the nitrogen recharged.Its unbelievable after a year how the oil get black and nasty.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Originally posted by polaris440xcSP
[br]i havent driven my sled yet but how do u know if i need this done. when i sit on it it feels pretty stiff. when i lift up the back end it feels like there is a lil play. and in the front when i push on the bumper the shocks dont really come back up.
What little I DO know about shocks will fit in a thimble....well ok, maybe something a little bigger than a thimble.....but here goes....
When you push down on the bumper, keep in mind that a properly set-up suspension will have a certain amount of SAG in it,(lets say a shock has 10" of travel, then the sag should be about 1"-2" of sag, meaning that the shock should be sitting at approx 9"or 8" of capacity) meaning that the shocks shouldn't be sitting at the top of thier travel because when you go over bumpy trails, there has to be a little sag when the ski actually travels into a DIP, so then at that time, the shock actually 'opens' up to the limit and therefore 'softens' the ride, whereas if it was already at the limit, the ski would not stay in contact with the snow/ground and you would lose a small amount of control. (does this make it clear as mud?) so, cars, motorcycles, sleds, atv etc....should ALL have a small amount of SAG adjusted into the suspension to maintain proper surface contact, this is ESPECIALLY true when you are sitting ON the sled/motorcycle/ATV etc....I DO realize however that they MAY need servicing and may already be shot...YOU will need to be the judge of that, or take them to your friendly neighborhood shop and ask...if they are a shop that you trust, then they will be able to let you know...hope this helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I own a small performance shop and we rebuild loads of shocks every year. A fox shock will lose a little nitrogen pressure over time just sitting. I have checked pressure on BRAND NEW sleds with 0 miles and have found pressures to be in the 125 to 150 range. Fully charged shocks are 200psi The other guys are right the oil will turn dark and should be replaced annually and regassed for proper shock function. Properly maintained the shocks will last the life of the sled.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
How many times can you rebuild fox shocks.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
lifttillithurts, Look here fo rebuild kits.
www.carverperformance.com

On the left side near the bottom click on
"service rebuild kits".

·
Registered
711 Posts
Fox shocks can be rebuilt as many times as it is required. There is no real life span because all of the parts are replaceable.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Can you recharge them yourself, if not how much does it cost to change the oil, and charge them up.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I don't think you'd be able to recharge them yourself, as you would need a nitogren tank and accessories to charge the shock.

I have an acquaintence that bought the tank and other shock rebuilding stuff from a dealership that was closing. He charges $25 a shock, (4 for $80 (for me [8D] ).

Otherwise there is these guys that get good reviews: http://www.deycore.com/

I'm sure there are many others, or maybe even a local yolko that will do it for cheaper like my buddy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts