Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on this '92 xlt that i just bought...the shocks seem like they are quite soft and i don't think that the fella i bought the machine from has ever had them rebuilt.

i have heard that they need to be rebuilt about ever couple of years or so. many people and shops have told me that they seem to absorb water into the oil and just go all to hell. what is you experience with them?? is there any truth to what i have heard??

is it better to remove them and have them rebuilt or replace them with some kimpex or other shocks to improve the ride. i really don't know how the ride is at this point but i would like to be ready for the snow.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Depends on what kind of fox shock it is, but rebuilding them is usually cheaper than buying a new set of shocks adn accomplishes the same thing. The oil wears out after a while, and water does manage to get in the shock. They also will lose charge. When you combine all three you have a shock that doesn't function properly. I'd say have them rebuilt.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I'm with rocket, rebuild them. Especially if your thinkng of going the Kimpex route.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Before you rebuild them look at the shaft closly. I've seen many people bring the front shock in the rear suspension in to be rebuilt, only to find that the shaft is pitted. The complete rebuild kit is about $100 plus labor. they can just change the oil and recharge it but it will still cost you about $75. Check to make sure the shock is bad by removing the spring and moving the shock through it's travel. If it collapses easily it's bad. If your suspension is just soft, they make different springs with different rates to stiffen it. Also check to make sure the preloads are cranked up. If your shocks are good and you want to fix it cheap, you can make spacers to fit under the spring.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
$75 for an oil change and recharge?? Wow! I am lucky to have a buddy do it for me for $20.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yeah, really. I think it averages between $30 and $40 per shock around my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the insight guys...i just found a shop here that rebuilds shocks. $60.00/shock new seals and oil. that is $60.00 canadian, not u.s.! [:)]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts