Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I am still wrestling with the Jack Shaft, I just noticed that the primary clutch has a crack in the sliding sheave.

I think I know the answer, but is this serious?

Can I just replace this part? Is it expensive?

CD

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
I dunno if u can replace just that part, but it's going to be expensive.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Yes you can replace just one side of the clutch, you mean the secondary, the back clutch right.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No as I mentioned its the primary. According to the shop manual they call it the sliding sheave. (Part that has the springs, etc.

CD

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
If it is the primary (front clutch) then I think you can, take it appart remove the sliding sheave, and bring it to the dealer, or sledding store, and see.

·
Registered
38 Posts
hey,
I assume this is a P-85 polaris clutch? I believe Polaris calls this a balanced assembly and should only be used as such; but I had my rebuilt from two separate clutches (because of cost) and have 1 season on it so far. no explosion yet. The mechanic I was working with said he has done this numerous times. I would say you'll have to balance safety vs. cost and make your decision. apparantly when one of these babies fly apart @ 8000rpms they can do some serious damage and danger.
hope this helps a little. maybe your local shop would have peices around you could get for cheap.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
They are a balanaced assembly. That is why when you rip a clutch apart, and put it back together, there are X's which must line up. There are also drill marks which are what they use to balance the clutch. No you aren't supposed to part out clutches and stuff, yes you can cuz almost all Polaris P-85's are identical. No you can't buy parts new. Yes you could find used stuff, it's all about safety though. I've seen a clutch fly apart on an indy 500 that was slowing, our guess is the engine was somewhere around 5000 to 6000 RPM and parts went flying through the side of the machine and they hammered up the side of the engine, the secondary clutch, under the clutch, and the hood.

Is that a risk you are willing to take?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Not recommended as Pman says when they come apart it is ugly
Especially on a triple because they turn more R's than a twin, could be done but you could be killed too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts