Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put new carbides on my 94 Indy Sport and now it feels like the skis are really holding me back. I do not have picks so on a hard snow pack suface its all I can do to get going, and when I do it feels really loose in the back end. Is thier something I can adjust that will help this?? Thanks!!

·
Registered
725 Posts
try loosening your front limiter straps in the rear suspension. This will give you less ski pressure, you could also invest in a set of easy steer rods, they go under your carbides and help with darting and steering. I have never run them but I have heard nothing but good things about them. If I were you I would look into picking up some cheap used plastic skis off of ebay. I have C&A skis on my sled and its like steering on rails, and they help alot with the issue you are having becasue the plastic does not drag as much as metal on the snow. Hope this helps [:)]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ill give it a try! Something has to feel better than what I've got now. Feel like im out of control!!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
yea... my rxl did this alot..plus it has some seroius weightin the front.. i let the strap put 2 holes and now its way better.. doesnt dig at all.. i can even lift the skiies when ever i want...:)

·
Registered
404 Posts
How long is the carbide on the set of runners you got? You have an Indy Sport. The 440 motor doesn't weigh very much at all so you should not have much problem with too much weight on the skis; unless you have the limiter strap sucked all the way up or something. Your sled at most should have 4 inches of carbide, and you should consider that it only takes a couple road crossings to take the sharp edge off and make it a little easier to steer. Also, getting plastic skis seems like overkill on a Sport. The metal skis don't slide any harder than the plastic ones once they are worn shiny. After sitting a whole year, running up and down a field for less than 20 minutes will get them cleaned off. Try adjusting your suspension and go from there.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Originally posted by tison1200
[br]easy steer sucks had it on my xcr6 took it off and went with 6" woodys and was much better...just my .02cents
^^ maybe you should listen to this, I have never run easy steer, I am only going on what others have said so take my reply for what its worth [:)] ... and plastic skis do slide better, espesially on warm sticky snow...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had easy steers on my indy 500 and it made a big diff.yep,like the boys said before,loosen your frt limiter strap and maybe check your frt alignment.maybe your toe is messed up.

·
Registered
291 Posts
didnt mean to come across as a smart azz..just telling you what i found from my experience...not to mention i was never able to find carbides any longer than 4" to use with the easy steer...4" of carbide didnt cut it when i had 96 pix

·
Registered
725 Posts
Originally posted by tison1200
[br]didnt mean to come across as a smart azz..just telling you what i found from my experience...not to mention i was never able to find carbides any longer than 4" to use with the easy steer...4" of carbide didnt cut it when i had 96 pix
LOL, i know you were not trying to be a smart azz... I was just letting the guy know that he might be better off listening to you since you have actually run easy steer and I have not. Sorry, sometimes I guess I am not very clear on what I type [:p]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I let the limiter strap out one notch (the last one) And I tryed to check the front end but I guess I need some special tool to do this right. I did however find that the ski stance seems to be wider at the front, and this does not seem right to me!! Seems to me they should at least be straight1 ANY HELP!?!? Thanks

·
Registered
725 Posts
I think they should be about 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch wider in the front of the spindle, if I am not mistaken. Yes it seems strange, but sleds are supposed to be towed out, I did not know this last year when I set mine so I set it strait, and that also works just fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts