Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1991 indy 500 sks,i would like to raise the front end up,can i use other front shocks and springs from another polaris model.i would like to put something on so i could adjust my preload.has anybody done this.what i am trying to do is make it ride similar to my 98 rmk 700.which has more travel and foregiveness

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can raise the front end up about an inch by installing the newer polaris spindles in your machine. As far as preload adjustment goes I was able to install fox shocks on my 94 500 sks for around $200 because they were for the older style machines and wouldn't fit the new 98's at the time and the dealer wanted to clearout the old inventory. I Think Dennis Kirk sells comet or kimpex gold shocks for the earlier indys that are adjustable. Keep the old 1991 running as that early classic bodystyle was one of the best. My riding buddy has a 1991 500 sks with around 7000 miles on it. You can adjust the ski pressure by adjusting the limiter strap on yur machine as well. Shorten the strap for more pressure or lengthen it all the way out for mountian and deep snow riding were floatation is your friend.
I hope this helps

Regards,
Nathan

Alaska The Great Land!!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I think that is backwards.
Deep snow - shorten the limiter strap, allows the tracks angle of attack to be steeper to climb up on the snow and elevate the skiis.
More hard pack traction - lengthen limiter, keeps the track flat on the trail for better hole shot.

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Hemiless:
You can raise the front end up about an inch by installing the newer polaris spindles in your machine. As far as preload adjustment goes I was able to install fox shocks on my 94 500 sks for around $200 because they were for the older style machines and wouldn't fit the new 98's at the time and the dealer wanted to clearout the old inventory. I Think Dennis Kirk sells comet or kimpex gold shocks for the earlier indys that are adjustable. Keep the old 1991 running as that early classic bodystyle was one of the best. My riding buddy has a 1991 500 sks with around 7000 miles on it. You can adjust the ski pressure by adjusting the limiter strap on yur machine as well. Shorten the strap for more pressure or lengthen it all the way out for mountian and deep snow riding were floatation is your friend.
I hope this helps

Regards,
Nathan

Alaska The Great Land!!
[/quote]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts