Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i cant get this bolt out for the life of me iv tried wd40 soaked it over night after i put bout a 1/4 can on it the nut came right off but the damn bolt wount move i stripped it using the right size socket!!!! iv tried pounding it next thing is dremel tool maybe grind off both ends take ski off of bolts then soaking the other part in a solution idk im skunked someone help me please

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
You need a hammer.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Pull of the ski and spindle and find a press. That's the only way mine came out. Clean off all rust and use lots of grease when assembling. A hammer probably won't do much good if it's in there that tight.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I had a ski bolt seized so bad on my 95' Starlite that we snapped the bolt with a power-bar trying to get it out. We than had to remove the whole spindle and than heat it up with some torches to get it out. Grab a can of penetrating oil and a a big hammer and see what you can do.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
heat is your best bet. I had the same thing happen to me and I had to use heat

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
If at first you don't succeed... get a bigger hammer.
ethan.justinger said:
"its not the size of the hammer...its how hard u hit with it"
Thats only half true... Force = mass x acceleration
the more mass the more force... the more acceleration the more force

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
similar thing happend on a tie rod on my dad's truck, the only thing that worked was heat

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
ethan.justinger said:
newtons 1st law i believe f=ma
Nope Newton's second law, which states: The acceleration of a body is directly proportional to the net unbalanced force and inversely proportional to the body's mass, a relationship is established between Force (F), Mass (m) and acceleration (a). This is of course a wonderful relation and of immense usefulness.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
common problem. common mistake of owner not doing preseason/postseason maintenance.
Tearing apart sleds for 3+ years, I run into this about 75% of the time.
not having a press, I use a Sawzall. Bend the top of the ski frame out the way (metal skis only), stick the sawzall blade inbetween the spindle mount on the ski and the spindle itself, I cut through the ski bolt. Do this to both sides of the spindle and the spindle and ski are easily seperated. Since the bolt is rusted to the spindle bushing, the combo has to be thrown away and get a new bushing and bolt. sometimes you're really SOL and the bushing is also rusted to the spindle, in which case the whole spindle is junk unless you use a press or heat.

·
Registered
564 Posts
heat man, works every time, if you have an acetylene torch that works the best. Regular torches take a lot longer and youll need two or tree to get the heat. Another thing that has worked for me is an easy out bit, but for this i would say heat.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok i just took some pics i used a hammer i beat the shit out of it i tried to grind the bold out but didnt work heres some pics

JEEPS101 said:
heat man, works every time, if you have an acetylene torch that works the best. Regular torches take a lot longer and youll need two or tree to get the heat. Another thing that has worked for me is an easy out bit, but for this i would say heat.
i dont think i can do thaT HERE the tourch LOL i live in a apartment building with a 1 car garage

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
go outside then!

·
Registered
443 Posts
looks rusty paint would be a good thing[thumb]

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
An acetylene torch would be faster but if you can get a map gas or just a regular torch would be fine. One way to do it( you should probaly be outside for this one) heat the bolt then stop, and spray some wd-40 or penetrating oil down into bushing from the top or where the bolt goes through. The other way is put the nut back on the threaded end of the bolt till the top of the nut is flush with the tip of the bolt. Then just wail away on it with a hammer. If you get it to move, work the bolt back and forth. Or if moves enough till the nut hits the ski saddle take the nut of keep on tapping it with a hammer. Then once you get the bolt back enough into the hole take a punch and put it on tip of the bolt and keep hitting it till it pops out.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The bitch is out!!! finaly i said fuck it and used a hack saw and cut thru the bolt the 2 bushings are fine:) but the cylender that the bolt goes thru is screwed o well those cant be to much right lol btw i might be getting 1 or 2 more sleds

1 - 20 of 21 Posts