Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ski pivot bolts on my '89 Trail won't budge. The bushings in the spindles are probably rusted tight also. Any ideas on how to get these things apart?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah, or call your big brother to help you ... if'in you ain't got either of those ... i hear tell of an oil they call PB Blaster that is supposed to dig right in and loosen up what needs loosening.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Good ideas here, also I usually put a pipe on the end of my wrench or socket to give me extra leverage when something's really tight. Don't forget to put some Anti-seize on the new bolts when you put it back together.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Lunathree you may have to torch off the head of the bolt and the nut. I had that happen to an older 650 years ago and it was a real b-tch to get the skis off. The way mine was the bolt was rusted in the bushing but the bushing was not froze in the spindle. You may be able to press it out if you pull the spindle out of the trailing arm. Riley

·
Registered
172 Posts
I ran across this problem on a '96 XLT about 2 months ago, helping a buddy change out skis. We tried everything we could think of, finally what got it to break loose was a hammer & a propane torch. Loosen the nut so it's protecting the threads and start tapping with a hammer as you're applying heat, it'll let go.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for MOST of the tips. Already busted off one bolt. Probably cut 'em off just to get the skis off. I don't think propane will be hot enough, have to find a torch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts