Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the hype about the new sleds I'm curious why I never hear about the FST IQ? Sure it's a 4 stroke but it's turbo!! Does anyone on the site own one? Ridden one?

·
Registered
123 Posts
yea, we have one from the shop that we re m,apped it so it pump out 13 psi of boost and the thing flies now. and sounds like a turbo deisel when it passes u and yes it can pass u they are fast when they are re maopped to 13 psi.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't doubt at all they are fast machines. IQ chassis would be awesome too. Just seems that since it is the IQ chassis and a turbo 4 stroke people would be all over them. But I haven't heard anything about them. All the hype is over the ugly phazer or the dominant dragon.

·
Registered
123 Posts
yea because the phazor are light butsupposidly the are not very good power wise. we have only sold one and the guy loves it. but we went on a really long ride and we let other epople drive it and it was really nice and everybody likes them they just like 2 stroke better becasue the power is more solid.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Originally posted by polaris4u1
[br]yea, we have one from the shop that we re m,apped it so it pump out 13 psi of boost and the thing flies now. and sounds like a turbo deisel when it passes u and yes it can pass u they are fast when they are re maopped to 13 psi.
I was thinking exactly that. I would love to have one and crank up the boost. There are quite a few guys on Polaris Files who have FST IQs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
we went for a ride and the thing is crazy now. really fast. turbo wines alot. i love the blow off valve

·
Registered
404 Posts
I rode a FST Classic once. When I rode it it had 9 mi on the odometer, so it was FAR from being broken in yet. Even then, it really hauled. The magazines are right about no turbo lag. It was difficult to even tell it was there, as the power was so instantaneous. It really pulled hard on low end and it gave the illusion that you were going a lot slower than you were. One thing that did take a little bit to get used to was the engine braking. You never really needed the brakes, as when you let off the throttle, it was almost like hitting the brakes. I think they improved that since then, as it made it really difficult to ride smoothly and looked like a kid trying to learn how to use a manual transmission around corners. It wasn't light by any means, but it was manageable. I would think it would be even better in the IQ.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll bet they are animals with the boost cranked up. I still haven't seen or heard a turbo on the trail yet.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
at this point it would be the only poo I would buy.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
FSTs are probably the most underrated 4-stroke sled on the market. They are fast. The only 4-stroke that will beat an FST is a Yamaha Apex or Attak.
They had some issues with the '06s (mostly with the mapping of the EFI) but most of those problems have been fixed for '07.
The FSTs still have somewhat of a bad reputation though and they are kinda heavy. FSTs are nice, but Id rathar have a 600 HO CFI or a Dragon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does anyone know if the the leftover 06 FSTs have been remapped, or is it kind of up to the individual dealer? Got a lead on a new one, the price sounds right, I'm just a little leary from what I've heard about the first year issues. Is it a buy or pass situation?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Originally posted by rolypolygoalie
[br]Does anyone know if the the leftover 06 FSTs have been remapped, or is it kind of up to the individual dealer? Got a lead on a new one, the price sounds right, I'm just a little leary from what I've heard about the first year issues. Is it a buy or pass situation?
From what I have heard, supposedly each owner was sent a letter from Polaris stating that they should have their sled taken to their nearest dealer to be re-mapped to 07 specs. It would probably still depend on the owner as to whether or not it was done.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
from what the ride reports are saying is the extra wieght holds the sled on line and tracking straight in the rough trails.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
[br]Does anyone know if the the leftover 06 FSTs have been remapped, or is it kind of up to the individual dealer? Got a lead on a new one, the price sounds right, I'm just a little leary from what I've heard about the first year issues. Is it a buy or pass situation?
Dont quote me on this, but Im pretty sure Polaris offered an update that brings the mapping on the '06s up to '07 specs.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Originally posted by madcow
[br]from what the ride reports are saying is the extra wieght holds the sled on line and tracking straight in the rough trails.
Thats the same thing Ive heard and read, but Ive also read that the extra weight wears on the rider quicker when the trails are rough.
I test rode an '06 FST last year and it was nice, but not something Id want, but Id love to try out an '07 to see if the changes made a big difference.
Id still rathar have a 2-stroke though. I like the simplicity of a 2-stroke vs the complexity of a turbocharged fuel-injected 4-stroke.
Different strokes for different folks though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by Octane
Id still rathar have a 2-stroke though. I like the simplicity of a 2-stroke vs the complexity of a turbocharged fuel-injected 4-stroke.
I agree. I'm just thinking that if I'm plopping a bundle of money down, I want it to be compliant (or more compliant to) any existing and/or anticipated EPA regs.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
[br]
Originally posted by Octane
I agree. I'm just thinking that if I'm plopping a bundle of money down
true ture seems like allot to put down but how long is the life expectancy on a 2 stroke at most 20,000 the 4 storke yamahas are running 4 stroke motorcycle motors sayign have ti looked at for the first time at 16,000 miles and how many motorcycle motors get to over 50,000 miles almost all. just my .02

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
^^^Not sure I would keep the sled that long. At the rate of the snow fall we are getting it would take my 50 years to get that many miles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]^^^Not sure I would keep the sled that long. At the rate of the snow fall we are getting it would take my 50 years to get that many miles.
Yep, my '98 now has 2500 miles on it. It's tough to put lots of miles on when you don't have rideable snow around, and when you trailer somewhere you spend your time boondocking the power lines so that 60 miles a day is a long day.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
at this point this is the only sled polaris has to keep all there usuall customers from running to yami. they better update and get it right.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts