Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends are really new to sledding, I've been doing it for years, but this is my first year with my own sled.
They've been asking me alot lately how much fuel we'll burn. Specificly, how long will the 5 gal in the tank last?
I realize this will vary from machine to machine, so let me list out our stable of machines:

'70 Ski doo Olympic 12/3 (yay 12hp!)
'76 Ski doo TNT 340 f/c
'78 Arctic Cat Eltigre 500cc f/a
'78 Pantera 5000 (hopefully)
I figure the two ski doos will use less gas owing to smaller engines and lighter weight (duh) but I don't have any guess as to how much fuel we'll be talking about over all.

Anybody, anybody, Bueller?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh come one now. I see you guys reading this, how often do you need gas?
I don't care if you've got a newer sled or what. Do you get an hour, two hours, what?
Oh, maybe you thought I wanted like 15mpg... Nah, time is better, my speedo (and consequently the odo) doesn't work anyway.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
I can go about 85 miles on a tank. That's a 1998 XCR 440 SP with a 9.5 gallon tank.

That's driving nicely though, if I speed up and slow down a lot, then I get around 75 to 80 miles per tank.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I Love B&M Coasters.

·
Registered
948 Posts
You'd prolly get about 3-4 hours on the 340cc. Maybe 3 on the 500's depending on how hard you ride. Best guess anyway.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
278 Posts
Riding moderately hard (on trails) I can get 140 miles out of my 800 Cat before the fuel gauge Is at 'E'. On my old 88 El Tigre 529, 90 miles is pushing it. I had a 77 Pantera 5000, 50 to 60 miles was about all I could get. The 90 SkiDoo Formula 463, would go 100 miles. And my Kid's 81 Enticer 250 can go all day on the 3 or 4 gallons it holds.
That's a pretty broad spedtrum of sleds. You'll just have to ride and see, the running condition of thye sleds along with the snow conditions are really going to effect the mileage.

RtkatZL8

·
Registered
167 Posts
wow! im new to sledding also and im suprised to learn that sleds eat that much fuel !, i ride a 200cc 2 stroke dirt bike and can ride 80+ miles on a bit over 2 gal's and thats me on the pipe quite a bit, my jag is 440 cc , im anixous to see how long a tank of fuel will last, AC specifies using 87 or better octane, is it ok to run higher octane like say 93 or 94?, i do in my dirtbike and it runs a bit better.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I'd definately run the highest grade you can afford. I've always run super, and so have all of my buddies.
The friction, and drag created from going through snow makes the engine work harder, thus increasing gas consumption. You've got to realize that pushing two skis on a sled takes more work (gas) than rolling the front tire on your bike. Also the difference between turning that big track compared to turning the rear wheel of your bike. Food for thought.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yea sleds do eat a lot of fuel. The 4 strokes wont but they suck performance wise. The 2 strokes we have are general 10-13 miles to the gallon. I can get close to 120 miles on my 10.7 gallon tank.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ride Snowmobiles, baseball, bowling, and golf require only ONE ball!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
266 Posts
Tfin70, that was the perfect answer!!! You Da Man!!!

Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
21 Posts
Any where between 10-14/gallon is the average for today's sleds.

Al. (02ZR800EFI)

As long as you ride!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts