Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a used motor for the 79 Jag 3000 F/A and got it hooked up. I got it running after cleaning the carb but I noticed the fuel line from the pump to the bottom of the motor is filling up with gas. Is this normal?
I am assuming it is not suppose to do this since I can't get it to idle. It bogs down and dies under 2000 rpm no matter where the mixture screw is set at.

I tried to look at the lines on the other 2 Jags I have for a reference--but they do not have see thru lines on them.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
no thats not normal, either you dont have your lines on correctly, or you need your pump rebuilt, th eline to the motor sucks the air, the on gets the gas from the tank, and the other goes up to the carb

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have it hooked up correctly-- it's a rectangular pump. The outlet on top of the pump goes to the motor and the one on the side facing the left side of sled goes to carb. The rear outlet facing the right side is connected to the tank. I knew the line from the base of the motor provides the vacuum but I didn't think it should be filled w/ gas. I will get a rebuild kit for it. Thanks Chevy!!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
hey man, it might be easier to just buy a new one, i can pick one up around 20 bucks, not the same style, but they still work awesome

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a rebuild kit today for 8.00--on my way to the garage to rebuild it now. Doesn't look like it should take more than 20 minutes or so. I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took less than 20 minutes-reinstalled it and fired it up--no more fuel in the vacuum line to the base of the motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts