Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of fuel lines should i get...the clear plastic or the blue polyeurithane( or w/e)
and what kind of fuel pick up line is the best...

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I don't like that clear stuff.
I rebuilt my Trailcat last summer and used 1/4" black rubber fuel line.
It will lsat alot longer than the clear stuff, and will not shrink around the fittings making it impossible to get off.
Here's a pic.
/snofan/../images/users/500fasEnuf/fueline.jpg

·
Registered
82 Posts
fasEnuf

How are those lines in the cold, can you handle them without them breaking apart? That is the problem that I have with the clear ones and if the lines that you use don't have that problem then I would like to know so that I can switch over.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
what size is the mashine in that picture,that looks like a Starlight or something.thats one small carb.but the hose is a good idea.looks like fuel line for an outboard motor.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Yes...that rubber line is completely flexible in the cold, it actually says "1/4" fuel line" right on the side of it.
Good guess luvemall.
It's a 1981 Trailcat 440 fan.....
/snofan/../images/users/500fasEnuf/3.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
i saw a post somewhere that said something about the black lines decomposing after sitting w/fuel for long periods,ie.summer.? just something to think about!? any other opinions?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, i got the black 1/4" lines
it works great now, i think one of the lines did have a hole
thanx for the help!

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'm pretty sure the black type fuel line used to be standard equipment on Polaris sleds.... I've still got it on both my 91 GT Sport and my 96 Ultra SKS..... Stays very flexible (more so than the clear or blue stuff) and seems to be quite long lasting. I guess the only down-side that I can see is that ya can't see what's going oninside the line (ie. air bubbles or no fuel in the line).

·
Registered
82 Posts
I thought of that (not being able to see inside the line), but figured that I would rather not be able to see the fuel flow then be able to see the fuel flow from a cracked line. I think I'll buy some of the black fuel line as a replacement. If I ever bump the clear stuff and crack it, I will go with the black as a replacement.

I guess it is only a matter of time before someone comes up with a clear hose that has the same properties (when it comes to dealing with the cold) as the black type.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tundra Guy said,"I guess it is only a matter of time before someone comes up with a clear hose that has the same properties (when it comes to dealing with the cold) as the black type."
They had it right about 15 to 20 years ago, my 1986 Cheetah has plastic fuel line that are soft as a "wet noodle", I also recall in the 1970's the fuel lines stayed soft, guess you can't sell enough fuel lines if they last too long.
A number of years back I got tired of changing fuel lines on a couple of old sleds that I used once a year for a hunting trip. I went to an automotive supplier and bought a 25 ft roll of 1/4" automotive fuel line, so far I think I have installed it on three sleds. As far a seeing fuel flow you can always see your fuel filter. If the machine is running that is a sure sign that there is fuel flow, now that wasn't nice was it.
500fasEnuf got what was left over on this 25 ft roll.
By the way it was about $.75 / foot a few years back.

Old Cheetah

·
Registered
128 Posts
heres a theory for ya boys! and thats all it is! seems like to me its additives that we pour into our sleds that seem to harden up the fuel lines black or clear and to back that up i have read warranty dissclaimers from both chrysler and gm saying the same thing only they were refering to gasahol which is what you are making when you put isopropeline as a deicer in your fuel. buy good gas and add nothing and your lines wont go hard[:p]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts