Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put some new gaskets in my Yamaha 340 engine. and i tried starting it but doesn't start. it only starts when i put a tish of fuel in the cylinder but then dies after bout 2 seconds. i cleaned the carb real good. could it be the fuel pump? or gummed out fuel lines. remember it was sitting for bout 8 years and just got her back up to par (mostly)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no it wasn't doing this before at all. i took the fuel pump aprt and i might have put it back together wrong. there is a bunch of arrows on the back and i don't know what they mean. how do i put it together? there is 3 holes for tubes i have no clue what goes in or what goes out?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Only three holes? On a two cylinder I would think there should be four. One for the incoming fuel from the tank, one going to each cylinder, and one for the pulse line that comes from the crank case. Maybe the Enticer is set up different though?

Either way, make sure you've got the lines going where they're suppose to. Make sure the carbs are cleande WELL, ALL the jets too. Make sure their synced, as well as the throttle and choke cables. Change your fuel filter. Make sure your getting good spark from your plugs. Blow out your fuel lines to make sure there's nothing lodged in there.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You might be able to find a picture here;

http://www.ronnies.com/micro.htm

Or if you have a camera send us one we can see what you're talking about.

Also, on a sled that has been sitting that long you should take off the tank and fuel lines and wash it out thoroughly and change the filters. Gas and oil that dries out turns into little chips of varnish that will keep coming down and clogging everything up unless you get it all out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright maybe i didn't explain it well enoguh. this enticer is a 1978. one carb for two cylinders type of thing. kinda old yes but i'm only 17 and i'm trying to make it all good for my first sled...lol but anyway yes it only has three holes on the fuel pump... one for gas tank one for carb one for crank pulse. where would the fuel filter be on that old of a sled to change it out. don't tell me i got to pull the engine again...lol

·
Registered
206 Posts
Follow the line back from the tank, should be between there and the pump. Alternativley it could be built into the pickup inside the tank. In that case you'll likely need to pull the tank to clean anyway and then can replace. Either way you should put in a new one before the pump. For $2.95 its a good investment to ensure you don't plug a jet, run lean and burn a piston/engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts