Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 94 Arctic Cat EXT 580 last year without knowing too much about them. The deal was too good to pass up. After riding last year and talking to some people I have come to the realization that this sled, though it is fun to ride, is a pig on gas. I had it tuned up at a shop and that made no difference. I'm told that this is just one of the quirks of this sled for this year. Is this true or is there some way of getting better mileage out of it? It has dual carbs too. Any ideas? [8D]

·
Registered
482 Posts
new piston rings might help a little bit, 1-2 mpg max. cost benefit is going to take a while to pay off, its probably 50 bucks for a pair of rings. new spark plugs will help minimally. check track tensino and clutch allignment, make sure nothing is hanging up. make sure your air intake isnt clogged or anything

·
Registered
12 Posts
Unfortunately, there is not alot you can do for gas mileage on these. My carbed ZR580 gets 7-9 mpg. My injected 580s get about 10-11 mpg.
Like Thehawk said, check/adjust track alignment and tension. Check/adjust clutch alignment, parralelism. Grease lube all moving parts in suspension. You could also try synchronizing the carbs.
You may be able to rejet the carbs as they seem to be rich from the factory. How much you can change depends on elevations, temp., and your knowledge of carbs.
I have heard of a little improvement when people use the UFO's and or ATACC systems in the carbs,although I haven't used them personally
Good Luck

·
Registered
764 Posts
you probly are running BR9ES plugs in there, cause everyone likes running them, but try switching to a BR9EYA. I just changed over to those in my 580 this year and u get a noticable increase in milage, they are a better plug that wont foul as much and run more efficient. or go to a platinum plug

1 - 4 of 4 Posts