Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am riding an xcr700. I was trail riding over the weekend with my buddy who is riding a 98 indy storm 800. For the same amount of riding I used 2.5 more gallons than he did. What gives??

he who dies with the most toys still dies

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
gas leak dammit!! too much crap about my buddy's sled doesn't use as much gas as mine. Boo hoo. maybe you get on the gas harder and use the brakes more than he does.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
how much did you use? that sled is a gas hog well I had a 96 XCR 600 and that thing drank gas like mad. In powder and thicker stuff it got like 7 miles to the gallon or maybe less. Best i got was like 9 that was all road riding.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
somethings wrong .I have an ultra that is modified with all the goodies. It has 430 to 450 main jets and I ride fast. I also have a friend with a storm and we average around the same fuel consumtion with me usually slightly less by a dollar or two after an longer ride.

·
Registered
167 Posts
so many things come into play on the mpg thing but ill go into a few, maybe your on the throttle harder than he is "good for you if this is the case" , also jetting plays a part in mpg a sled that has been jetted down uses less fuel, I.E. smaller hole in main jet, less fuel, your track could be tighter than his more drag on the sled, just a whole bunch of things come into play, comming from the dirtbike world to snowmobiles i cant beleive how much more gas these things "drink" but there is a heck of alot more resistance!, just keep pouring gas in your sled and enjoy it, dont worry about the mpg! i just wish i had snow to ride!

if its not a CAT, then it must be a dog!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I did some checking and I found that the inner pulley of the driven was somewhat jammed in position. It took some doing to release it so I could change the belt. Is that maybe the cause?

he who dies with the most toys still dies

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
on the secondary they are always a pain to rotate enough to get the belt off. Really bad bearings, tight track, draging brake, bad belt are the things to look for. If you get the track off the ground and it doesn't abruptly stop when you rev the engine, then its due to jetting and your riding style.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts