Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a good site that goes into detail on performance mods for this motor? Thanks.

·
Registered
666 Posts
AAEN

·
Registered
855 Posts
theres not a whole lot fot the 488-500's need bigger motor ie 600 thats what i was told by my parts shop when I had my indy 5

·
Registered
661 Posts
I looked around for mods for my 500's, and aside from clutching I think Skyde is right, AAEN is the only pipe I found for them

·
Registered
327 Posts
Is this motor a fan cooled or liquid? Il have a AAen pipe for sale that fits a 01 to 05 super sport. Don't know if it will fit yours.
The pipe I have has only been used to warm up the sled, no miles. E-Mail if interested.--Mike[attachment=50315]

Attachments

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Originally posted by 98700xcBB
[br]theres not a whole lot fot the 488-500's need bigger motor ie 600 thats what i was told by my parts shop when I had my indy 5
I'm not sure why there would be very few mods for this.
It was probably THE most popular size motor Polaris made thru the 1990's.
Sure, there were bigger badder faster engines, but the 500 was a big seller.
I'd think there'd be a lot of different parts and products to upgrade the 500.

·
Registered
404 Posts
There probably were mods out there, but they just aren't around much any more. I have seen them ported, heads shaved, and twin pipes but that is about it. Tell you the truth though, my dad's has a shaved head, and trying to get the thing running properly is a pain. It never ran great when we bought it, and it still isn't perfect. I think the mods had a big effect on the longetivity of these motors and you only got small gains. My dad's 91 with the shaved head and over 135 psi compression still can't outrun my stock 1996 Indy 500. Mine is lugging around an extra 20 lbs of suspension, and has less weight transfer at take off. He can pull me at low end but then I reel him in at the 1/8 mi. mark and we stay about even until the 1/4 mile. I don't know what the previous owner did to the head though either.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Originally posted by chadd
[br]There probably were mods out there, but they just aren't around much any more. I have seen them ported, heads shaved, and twin pipes but that is about it. Tell you the truth though, my dad's has a shaved head, and trying to get the thing running properly is a pain. It never ran great when we bought it, and it still isn't perfect. I think the mods had a big effect on the longetivity of these motors and you only got small gains. My dad's 91 with the shaved head and over 135 psi compression still can't outrun my stock 1996 Indy 500. Mine is lugging around an extra 20 lbs of suspension, and has less weight transfer at take off. He can pull me at low end but then I reel him in at the 1/8 mi. mark and we stay about even until the 1/4 mile. I don't know what the previous owner did to the head though either.

your sled is probally geared diff. im pretty sure the older sleds were geared down a little bit more. even if you shave your heads the engine will still be very durable and reliable, these engines are built pretty darn well and last a lifetime. you could do all that, shave the heads bore over the engine get bigger carbs and get twin pipes and gut the air box get a lighter brake rotor and gear down a few and 9' big wheel kit thats all the mods i could find for the ol indy 500's but if you do all this you need to get all the power to the ground correctly with the clutch and the jet sizes in the carb's to run at to HP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts