Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1" paddle track with 144 studs that I am putting on my MXZ 800. I have taken and cut the closed windows out so all the windows (where the hyfax run) are open. I was thinking that maybe I should get clips and clip the entire track but then again it would add more weight. That is why I am wondering if it is worth it?

Basically the track has every third cross member clipped, which is the way they come. I don't want to spend the time or money if it really doesn't gain much. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Depends on how much snow you'll be riding on.. if it's powder I'd say leave it alone, but if you're riding packed trails you're better off clipping the track.

·
Registered
368 Posts
track clips reduce the friction between the track and hyfax. i will assume your a mostly trail rider because of the 144 studs, so keep an eye on your hyfax if you dont clip the track. a set of icescratchers could be a cheaper alternative if you do run alot of hardpack.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
You will be fine running every third clipped. It is pretty much a weight saver. Only thing it does, it turns your white hyfax black. I like a fully clipped track, seems in my unoffical testing that when the rubber/hyfax gets warm that it tends to "stick" a bit.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
personally, i wouldnt waste my tine on it. 20 dollars and 45 mins on changing hyfax isnt that big of a deal that i would clip it fully imo

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ride mostly in powder but am going to be (hopefully) doing more trail riding. I run the black graphite hyfax anyway so color isn't an issue. Seems like it would be pretty expensive to fully clip the track just to save hyfax... I almost don't think I go through that much hyfax to justify buying that many clips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts