Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres the delema. I have a new lightwieght hood for the sled. but what is headlights on the stock hood is molded in the new hood. I thought I could mount the lights down in front on the hinge bar for the stock hood. but the new hood isnt tall enough. so the easiest and most functional would be to mount them on top of the hood at the bottom of the windshield. it might look a little funny but that way I would get the most out of the lights. they are fog lights, nice black body with blue coloring bulb. they are only about 3 inches in diameter.
to mount them under the hood and shine out where the molded headlight piece is. then I would be mounting the lights to the airbox. then I have to worry about the distance from the light bulb to the hole in the hood. and also either movement from the air box or frame that i would have to make under the hood. I kind of want to just go on top of the hood. but it would look nicer to make a piece go from one side of the body by the clutches, over the motor to the other side. and then mount the lights on that. but that seems like it might get in the way of the motor area. plus it will add some wieght back.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Functionality > Fashion

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya, I am thinking ontop of hood for now. heck if noone else likes it they dont have to look at it. lol

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Maybe you can make some kind of quick disconnect for them. Remove them days, put back on quickly at nights.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
What kind of sled/hood are we talking about?
Is it possible to mount the lights in the vent area of the hood?

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will get pics up soon.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Better to be a sleeper and win then be a show off and lose.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Lord knows your not beautiful Jon so I say function over fashion. [:D][:D][:D]

Hehe, someone had to say it.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
i thought you were supposed to cut out the headlight holes and put them in the factory spot in hoods that come uncut? i may be wrong, or maybe you just don't want to. that would be my first thought about it though.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Originally posted by ProXtreme
[br]Better yet, can you mount the headlights to your helmet!! That would be very functional......light where ever you look. [:D]
Yeah!! just like an old phazer. Also ductape the windsheild to your chin.[:D]

But seriously, function over fashion any day. I say do what you gotta do to see and be safe,.....and win.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was to put them where the stock headlights went. but the hood flexes a lot. so I would be making brackets and bolting them to the hood or over the motor. I will put them on the hood and get some pics up. later on I can always find a way to get some under the hood as well. if needed.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Make a bracket and mount them on the inside of the hood where the headlights would go. it will look the best and function the best too. Cant be that hard to make.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by MonsterJay
[br]Maybe you can make some kind of quick disconnect for them. Remove them days, put back on quickly at nights.
The catch there is that a headlight (and tail light) is required at all times while riding on public property. Day or night.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
function is better than look any day

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am going through this little delima to take about 20 lbs off the nose of the sled. the pipes took another 14 lbs off. next year a seat can take another 8. thats if I dont get an edge or iq to put the triple in. plus this new hood can flex and fold in half without breaking. so i can roll it over without worrying to much.

if I added 20 hp from stock and lost over 30 lbs from the nose. plus have a custom look. I will go through a little work. there isnt much that makes this sled polaris anymore, my own motor specs and work, v force reeds, slp pipes, custom paint, hood and lighting. relocated suspension with my own extensions and a 144 track. different gearing, not even polaris chain case oil.lol

·
Registered
448 Posts
would you be able to make a bracket for the fog lights to sit on and attach that under the hood where they should be located. i would think that would be the best way then they wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb. would that be possible? you could even make the bracket out of lexan if you wanted too.
do you have a picture that we could see?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
got any pics.one really good way to make your seld and rider setup lighter is go on the slim fast diet. lol jk i think youve got a good idea on loosing weight and adding hp.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts