Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 1281 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is alot of topics that has to do with fusions and alot of good idea's.I thought that I would start this topic so if any of us have any questions we can just look back though this thread, instead of asking the same questions over again.
enjoy fusion owners!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Very good idea. It seems like every week somebody is asking about them or needs help on them.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ok i guess i will start with the ?. To all the 900 fusion owners out there what sled did you own prior to that? The reason i ask is beacuse i have the edge 800 and am pretty darn happy with it, but i also really like the thought of fuel injection, 900cc and rider forward. Is it worht makeing the switch to the fusion or go straight to the d8. What were the major diffrences from 05 to 06. I know there was alot changed but is it worth passing a good deal on an 05 to go for the 06. Thanx guys.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
A buddy of mine has 2-900 fusions and is in love with them!! Can't remember when I did the clutches on them for him, but he did drop the '06 clutching into them, and it is a world of difference, no prob's hitting the c-note on a 1/4 mile ice (shaved) for radar runs with a couple hundred studs in the track. Make sure you if you are getting an '05, that you get all the updates signed off on by Polaris, torque arm, vent kit, and certain serial numbers had some piston problems, other than the damn vibration, the 900 mill is one scary machine

·
Registered
318 Posts
whats the top rpm you've gotten - out of the 900

·
Registered
330 Posts
I know someone that recently bought a 900 here in town...As soon as he experiences any problems I'm making an offer. I love my Switchback but I also want a short track!

·
Registered
290 Posts
There is a dealer about 3 miles where we go riding wheelers has 13 of them still siting in crates brand new. He parted 2 out last year and sold 2 others. I am thinking of going and making them an offer on 1 but still love my 800. With porting this thing is a torque monster. just didnt know if i want to sacrifice my well broke in sled for a head ache but sound like most ppl like them and are relaible units when showed the right wrench. There seems to be slew of them around here so it shouldnt be a problem picking one up used either.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
01ves800 said:
There is a dealer about 3 miles where we go riding wheelers has 13 of them still siting in crates brand new. He parted 2 out last year and sold 2 others. I am thinking of going and making them an offer on 1 but still love my 800. With porting this thing is a torque monster. just didnt know if i want to sacrifice my well broke in sled for a head ache but sound like most ppl like them and are relaible units when showed the right wrench. There seems to be slew of them around here so it shouldnt be a problem picking one up used either.
what years are they?
what does he want for one or two?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
The fusion is superior to the xc 800 I think. Such an awesome aggressive trail sled. Going from your 800 to the 900 will be a huge improvement.I would buy the 06 though over the 05. People make the 900 way worse than it really is. Few little tweaks here and there and you'll absolutely fall in love with it. Vibration isn't as bad as people say, vibrates only at idle until 1800 rpms then smooths out. Throw a pipe on it like shnill did, gain hp, have nice sound and lose weight. Get rid of that airbox and get an slp(which I like the best) or the timbersled, buy a slp air kit, and a team 719 helix and you will be set.

These fusion 700's and 900's NEED studs. I spun like crazy last year, so much torque and it would just break the track loose everytime I hit the flipper. I recommened 144 down the center. One more thing you might want to do is take a gander at the oil pump, there is a cable there and it's important that you keep it clean or else it will stick causing fouling. Polaris has a return spring for it but it's too wimpy. That cable gets gunk on it from belt debris and oil and the spring cannot work properly. Easy fix is to put a bit heavier return spring on it.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Max rpm for the fusion should be around 7600. Any more than that, and you are wayyyyy over your power band. Contrary to what most think, the aftermarket pipes dont make the power, its all in the computer reflash. Many have had their ecu's reflashed and report big gains with the stock pipe still in place.

As mentioned above, check the oil pump cable, and check it often. Here is a link to the guy who had a bunch of cables made.

Oil Cable

Also I would recommend inspecting the the throttle body boots at the beginning of the season. They are prone to cracking and could cause a lean burn down. Supposedly polaris has an updated boot, but I havent heard if it is any better than the original ones.

Lots of fusion owners are installing slp's torque and push arms. I believe these to be a band aid for a bigger problem. Poorly designed front motor mounts are the bigger problem. I'd recommend the torque and push arms for those who do not wish to remove their motor to install new mounts. There is a guy over on snowest that goes by the name Compfusion who makes these mounts.

Motor Mounts

If i ever have to pull my motor, i'm definatly going to buy a set of his mounts.

Make sure your clutches are aligned. Many dealerships that set these sleds up didnt bother aligning the clutches properly which is why many are blowing their drive belts. The 420719 team helix is a must, but also you should install some delrin washers in the secondary to help eliminate binding.

Aftermarket air box is a must, but if you insist on running the stock air box, you need to put some reinforcement under the box so that if you blow a drive belt, it will not puncture the airbox and suck belt debris into the motor.

The TPS voltage needs to be checked to make sure you are getting all of the performance possible. Many were set incorrectly from the factory hurting gas mileage and performance. I just built a home made tps tool to check my tps adjustment.

There are a few things I've learned about the Fusions, and i'm still learning on mine.

·
Registered
945 Posts
the 05 fusion, stock, is recommended by polaris to run at 7500 however many people seem to think 7250-7300 makes the most power. Polaris recommends that a stock 06 900 should be at 7600. These are low reving machines with a lot of torque and the motor likes to be loaded down.

·
Registered
807 Posts
TriumphoverU said:
Max rpm for the fusion should be around 7600. Any more than that, and you are wayyyyy over your power band. Contrary to what most think, the aftermarket pipes dont make the power, its all in the computer reflash. Many have had their ecu's reflashed and report big gains with the stock pipe still in place.

As mentioned above, check the oil pump cable, and check it often. Here is a link to the guy who had a bunch of cables made.

Oil Cable

Also I would recommend inspecting the the throttle body boots at the beginning of the season. They are prone to cracking and could cause a lean burn down. Supposedly polaris has an updated boot, but I havent heard if it is any better than the original ones.

Lots of fusion owners are installing slp's torque and push arms. I believe these to be a band aid for a bigger problem. Poorly designed front motor mounts are the bigger problem. I'd recommend the torque and push arms for those who do not wish to remove their motor to install new mounts. There is a guy over on snowest that goes by the name Compfusion who makes these mounts.

Motor Mounts

If i ever have to pull my motor, i'm definatly going to buy a set of his mounts.

Make sure your clutches are aligned. Many dealerships that set these sleds up didnt bother aligning the clutches properly which is why many are blowing their drive belts. The 420719 team helix is a must, but also you should install some delrin washers in the secondary to help eliminate binding.

Aftermarket air box is a must, but if you insist on running the stock air box, you need to put some reinforcement under the box so that if you blow a drive belt, it will not puncture the airbox and suck belt debris into the motor.

The TPS voltage needs to be checked to make sure you are getting all of the performance possible. Many were set incorrectly from the factory hurting gas mileage and performance. I just built a home made tps tool to check my tps adjustment.

There are a few things I've learned about the Fusions, and i'm still learning on mine.
I have an 05 900 Fuse coming in to work on and I think I will document and photo set up.

The plan is to install the new oil cable referenced above, I like it as it also allows easier removal of throttle bodies.

We will also be:

- removing SLP exhaust system and re-installing stock pipes
- removing SLP push and pull arms
- installing Compfusion mounts
- adjusting clutch CC and aligning
- TPS set and adjust
- balanced clutches
- 719 helix
- remove Pilots and install USI PX 301's using set back hole in USI plate to fix steeering issue instead of updated spindles.

Sled already has Timbersled intake.

·
Registered
945 Posts
why are you removing the slp exhaust?

I like how the throttle bodies are towards the front unlike the other cfi sleds. It's going to take some work to get to.

·
Registered
807 Posts
FUSION900PA said:
why are you removing the slp exhaust?

I like how the throttle bodies are towards the front unlike the other cfi sleds. It's going to take some work to get to.

No hp gain from aftermarket exhaust and the vibration is worse with it on. HP is made by the reflash not the pipes.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thinksno said:
TriumphoverU said:

Oil Cable

Motor Mounts

I have an 05 900 Fuse coming in to work on and I think I will document and photo set up.

The plan is to install the new oil cable referenced above, I like it as it also allows easier removal of throttle bodies.

We will also be:

- TPS set and adjust
- balanced clutches
- 719 helix
- remove Pilots and install USI PX 301's using set back hole in USI plate to fix steeering issue instead of updated spindles.

what is the tps?
I didn't understand a word about the steering

·
Registered
807 Posts
800storm said:
[what is the tps?
I didn't understand a word about the steering
Throttle position sensor. A low setting can negatively affect performance and fuel economy.

The early IQ sleds had some complaints about heavy steering if set up aggressively. Some people installed newer style spindles which Polaris designed to reduce steering effort- $$$ and time to do it correctly. The common improvement method was to swap out skis. Lots like SlyDog skis, this sled has Pilots on it and we feel USI's are better for ski design and the fact you can move ski pivot point back easily using the USI style ski plates.

I only use USI Skis.

20081023184920389_9003.jpg

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thinksno said:
TriumphoverU said:

Oil Cable

Motor Mounts

We will also be:

- TPS set and adjust
- balanced clutches
- 719 helix

did you mean vx
and were can you get them at a reasonable $$
their web site wants $$$$$$$$$$$$

1 - 20 of 1281 Posts