Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read last month in SnowTech magazine about a temperature and altitude carb compensator gadget call the ATACC (Automatic Temperature and Altitude Carburetor Compensator). For those guys with non-compensated carbs on your sleds, you might want to take a look at it. It's supposed to automatically change the fuel flow through your carbs at anything warmer and higher than your base main jetting (like -20°F and sea level or 0° and 2000 feet, etc.), which will increase gas mileage, decrease emissions, and keep the throttle response nice and crisp no matter what the temp or altitude you're riding at (above your base jetting). They work with single, dual, and triple carb'd sleds, and run about $210. I've installed one on my '98 AC Cougar and have another on the way for installation in my '99 AC Z440.

Here is a link to the manufacturer (who, incidentally, is out of the things right now and won't get any until after 12/15/2002) if you want more info: http://www.holtzmaneng.com/atacc.htm You CAN order these things from this place (they have some in stock): http://www.fettbrosperformance.com

Installation wasn't bad, but you need to have more of a mechanical background than just barely able to swap plugs. Installation instructions are available at the mfg.'s web site, too, if you want to check it out.

Also, I don't have any ties with these folks or their devices. I just think this thing is really, really cool.
[/font=Arial]

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yeah, I've seen this one and it looks quite impressive. I'm thinking about getting one for my sled next year. I've unfortunately got too many other "must have" items I need to get this year associated with my rebuild.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
its also called a Holtzman TempaFlow. They are really big with the Yamaha Guys over at www.totallyamaha.com never seen or used one myself.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, as I understand it, it's a kind of marriage of the Tempa Flow and Vari Flow devices of Barry Holtzman's. It was tested in the field last year and got some very good marks, so he's making it available to the public for this season, albeit as a limited production run. I have an idea that this gizmo is going to be quite a money-maker for Holtzman, especially if it lives up to the claims and testimonies about it, so far.[/font=Arial]

·
Registered
243 Posts
Do you guys ride at that many different altitudes, or is it temperature changes you're worried about? Personally, I like to know exactly where my jets are and don't change it. That way I know where I stand.

You don't have to believe everything you think!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the truth is, I've never touched my main jets. Ever. On any sled I've owned. At any time. And, I honestly can't see myself trying to keep up with trying to jet for a typical Maine riding day of 0 or below in the morniing to mid 20's or 30's during the day and then back down in the evening... Not to mention the altitude changes that you can ride through in some areas of the state. But, I would like to be as close to perfect in tuning no matter where I am riding at the moment if that is at all possible. This little gem makes that possible in my non-EFI sled(s). This means better gas mileage, lower emissions, and great throttle response... all the time. And, all that for $210 and the hour or so of installation time. Plus, I only get gas on my hands the one time (installation). For me, this is a no-brainer decision. That may not be the case for everyone (or even ANYONE) else, but it is for me, even if the ATACC only performs to half its potential.[/font=Arial]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Sled_Dog:
I am sorry but you sound so much like an I had I just have to wonder. Not accussing you but wow you just do.

[/quote]

Well, some of that kinda got lost, I guess, Sled_Dog. Not a biggy, though. I'm not offended and don't want to offend anyone, either. I am just really enthused by this new gadget and see it as quite a neat thing to have, and am just trying to spread the word. That's all.
[/font=Arial]

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Well maybe here is why, AC is 41 and talks and types that way,
and to a 17 year old like Sled_dog it sounds a little formal,
no offence to ne1, just the way it is here, we all different ages and backgrounds, and that is bound to come through.

AC is just passing along his experience with a new product that has made his riding experience better, and that's a big reason why we are all here.

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Funny. As I was reading razorsharp's post, I was preparing to to respond about the variations in Maines temps and altitudes, but you did if for me ACMan.

Do you primarily ride in the Halowell area? I live in Waterville and ride in the Belgrade lakes area with occational trips to Eustis, Bingham and Presque Isle.

Anyways, I completely agree with your views on the ATACC, and am planning on purchasing one for my sled next year.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I got one on the way, and like AC-Man said hope it does half as good as advertised. Also yes the ATACC and tempa-flow are two different things, for people who ride with a lot of temp. changes this could be a great idea for you, plus the tempa-flow is only $140 as opposed to $210.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have ridden a lot in Wyoming and Montana, now in Idaho. I personally jet very lean. I have ridden in elevation changes as much as 4k ft. in a day. I just like knowing where I am at and if I am lean to the point of burning a piston, the motor runs it's best. You just have to realize where you are and not keep the throttle pinned for to long. I agree that efi and altitude adjusters give you some peace of mind, but I have never had a problem with a sled getting doggy due to being fuel rich.

Typically I look at the jetting chart and run 2 sizes smaller. That's my preference though.

You don't have to believe everything you think!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Tfin70:

Do you primarily ride in the Halowell area? I live in Waterville and ride in the Belgrade lakes area with occational trips to Eustis, Bingham and Presque Isle.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"
[/quote]

Sounds like we've probably seen each other many times, Tfin70!! I ride Eustis a lot, up in the county once or twice a season, if possible, too. Hope I see ya out there!!![/font=Arial]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by razorsharp:
... Typically I look at the jetting chart and run 2 sizes smaller. That's my preference though.
[/quote]

2 sizes below the chart?? That is lean. Of course, I have no doubt that the charts have some fudge factor built into their recommendations, for sure. Have you ever burned down a motor with this?[/font=Arial]

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Now I'm confused, isn't that your 500 XC SP in the took pics post, or are you snowchecking a newer bigger sled?

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by ACMan:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by razorsharp:
... Typically I look at the jetting chart and run 2 sizes smaller. That's my preference though.
[/quote]

2 sizes below the chart?? That is lean. Of course, I have no doubt that the charts have some fudge factor built into their recommendations, for sure. Have you ever burned down a motor with this?[/font=Arial]

[/quote] The charts usually have a pretty good fudge factor in them. 2 sizes down is about right in my opinion. My old 1996 XCR 600 was running about 4 sizes down from stock and you could hold that thing wide open across a 5 mile lake in -25degree weather.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Sled_Dog:
The charts usually have a pretty good fudge factor in them. 2 sizes down is about right in my opinion. My old 1996 XCR 600 was running about 4 sizes down from stock and you could hold that thing wide open across a 5 mile lake in -25degree weather.
[/quote]

Wow! You're a braver dude than I am, Sled_Dog. I can't imagine running 4 sizes smaller than the charts. Of course, I ride Cats. Maybe the charts on a Polaris are a little more fudged than on a Cat?? I dunno. But I do know that there's no way you'd catch me riding at 4 sizes lower than the chart says on any of my Cats, for sure. I wouldn't get 100 yards before that motor was burned down...
I've been towed out of the woods a COUPLE of times with a burned down motor (long story, does involve trying to get a '98 Cat ZL 500 to run right)... That was pretty humiliating. Especially when my Ski Doo buds had to be the ones to rescue my carcass...
[/font=Arial]

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
eyah I actually was not that brave. See we went to rejet the sled and knock it down one or two and discovered the previous owner had already dropped it that much. It had already been ridden in like -25 degree weather at wide open throttle for a couple minutes at a time so we just went with it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts