Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Anyone out there using Garmin Rino 110/120?

http://www.garmin.com/products/rino120

Seems like a wicked product for being out on the sled if you can scrape up the $$ for them.

I especially like the peer-to-peer locating option and 5 mile (up to) range for the radio portion.

I don't have them yet but having used the Chatterbox FRS for 2 years am thinking of upgrading.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I personally dont own one, but was looking at them. As of now we just have the regular 14 channel 2 way radios with a range of up to 2 miles. We can talk to my uncle who has the Rino 120 with our radios. I thought about using our radios for sled to sled communication but never got around to it. I wasnt sure if the noise of the engine would be too much for the radios or not. I mean i didnt want them constantly transmitting, and since its voice operated, i was worried if they could handle the engine/track noise. I may try this winter if i get a chance. As far as i know though the Rino's are a sweet little peice of equipment. Only difference between 110 and the 120 is the amount of memory inside the unit. If you dont plan on inputting maps in it, the 110 is all you will ever need. But if you plan to upload maps into it with your computer go for the 120. Hope i was of some help, if not, maybe someone else can help.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Wow, I haven't seen those yet....they seem awsome, not to far off the price of a regular GPS anyway...might have to look into that one, since I'm in the market for a new one..

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I don't have one but a couple of the guys I ride with use them. They work great. It is really nice to be able to locate a guy whose stuck in the pucker brush and be able to talk to him (you know he's ok) so you can tell him where you are when he gets himself out.
But seriously, they are a real nice unit. Both the guys that I know have the 120

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Very interesting device. I'm looking into getting my own hand held this fall.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ToU I called Garmin Sales and the Rino's allow for remote Push to Talk so you don't have to be transmitting all the time too. There is a kit just like Chatterbox if you're handy with wiring into a helmet. PTT is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. Sled noise aside, when you get huffin' and puffin' the voice activation becomes a pain anyway. I like the grip mounted PTT for transmitting personally.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Garmin makes great products. A GPS-12 saved our groups butt last year when we made a wrong turn after a very long day of sledding. Matching the GPS with the radio is just that much better. Especially when you have a guy leading the pack who doesn't look back very often and likes to make those wrong turns mentioned above. The key is to convince others in your group to buy the same thing.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Hmm, I don't own a GPS but I think I may look into this one if I need one.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I have been using GPS for about 7 years. Mostly on the ocean. Past 3 snowmobile seasons I began using it cause of the maps you can have now. Last year it came in handy, especially at night when we couldn't find the trail back to the truck. Saved a lot of back tracking. My only problem has been keeping the batteries warm. Mine only last about 4 hours in the winter. I get 20 hours in the summer.

I use those cheap motorola walkie talkies to keep our group together. Usually works. My pockets are getting full of stuff though.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Offshore24, I work for the Maine Office of GIS in Augusta. Be sure to check out our website at:

http://apollo.ogis.state.me.us/

You can go to our data catalogue and download all kinds free stuff, like roads, aerial photos, etc.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
We have been using the Motorolla Talkabout radio's for about 4 years, they work great. We haven't had any trouble with the voice activation, because you can disable it if you turn the radio on before you plug the headphones in. I haven't used one of the rhino's yet but an seriously thinking about trying one.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Our group has been looking at the Rinos. Xmas is here and I'm pretty sure a couple of guys are getting the 120's. I've had a Garmin 12 for a couple of years so I'm waiting to see how the Rinos work before I make a change. Its saved our bacon more than once! I really like the idea of being able to see where the rest of your party is. It's easy to lose track of people in the mountains, especially when clouds and fog move in unexpectedly. I wonder how deep you can bury one before it stops transmitting location? Even if its only a foot of snow, wouldn't that be a great feature for avy safety!

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I've been told that the Garmin GPS stuff is the best. I work with a guy that hunt,s fishes, flies a plane, and a few other things. He recommends the Garmin.
I've thought about getting one, but its more sh!t to carry around.

·
Registered
177 Posts
http://www.atlanticsignal.com/index2.html

·
Registered
101 Posts
Originally posted by Offshore24
[br]I have been using GPS for about 7 years. Mostly on the ocean.
Me too for 15 years, including land navagation type stuff.
Originally posted by Offshore24
[br]My only problem has been keeping the batteries warm. Mine only last about 4 hours in the winter. I get 20 hours in the summer.
This is the major problem... I am working on a remote battery pack. One where you can keep in a nice warm place ith an additional hook up using the sleds power

1 - 17 of 17 Posts