Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a Mountain bike to replace the junker wal-mart special I rode most of last yr.

I've found this gary fisher tassajara bike locally and it seems to be of the higher quality. Just wondering if anyone here has one and how they compare to say a trek. Looks like if you where to buy this bike new it would be around $1000 and I can get it much less then that.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Pretty low end components. Though, bikes seem to be getting more expensive with lower end components. I remember buying my road bike back in 2002, and it was a great deal with decent components. A bike with the same components as mine today would cost upwards of two grand. I spent half that.

The bike would be fine for riding around and hitting the trail that runs through your area. For XC racing, I don’t think the bike would live up to your expectations.

·
Registered
584 Posts
KHE said:
Pretty low end components. Though, bikes seem to be getting more expensive with lower end components. I remember buying my road bike back in 2002, and it was a great deal with decent components. A bike with the same components as mine today would cost upwards of two grand. I spent half that.

The bike would be fine for riding around and hitting the trail that runs through your area. For XC racing, I don’t think the bike would live up to your expectations.
Gary fisher makes nice bikes. You dont need the best bike in the world for riding trails as long as it wont break. I have a specialized hardrock that is low end but i never have problems and i ride pretty agresively.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm would be using it for riding trails. There is no xc racing doing here. I do some road riding too. I did some research on this bike, and it's a 2007 in almost new condition. MSRP was $800. Talked to they guy and he would take $350. How does that sound?

·
Registered
262 Posts
i'd take a look at Specialized, i swear by their DH/AM frames some of the best mass produced frames i've ridden, as far as components for $1,000 they're all going to have lower end parts like acera fron derailur with a deore rear a low end crank, and fork. idk how the tassajara is spec'd but id go with Sram the 1:1 action is great

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Gary Fisher is good stuff I have 2.....If I remember right Trek has bought GF and has been making them since the early-mid 2000s

1 - 7 of 7 Posts