Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2006 Polaris fusion 600 last winter and i only get about 40 to 50 miles on one tank of gas. i don't know if this is normal? i had a 2003 Polaris edge before this one and it got around 90 miles to a tank. the low fuel light comes on really early too i think. just wondering what i can do to get a little bit better millage? [;)]

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
So you are saying you are out of gas in 50 miles or the light comes on after 50 miles. The fuel sensors on these sleds are very misleading. You probably have another 30 or more miles once the light comes on. Also you could jet down a couple sizes, they are jetted very rich from the factory. Stock was 420, you can run 410 easy, 400's work great.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
My IQr with the same 600HO engine was the same way,absolutly terriable mileage. It had 420 jets and I started dropping a couple sizes at a time since I have EGT gauges on it. I ended up going all the way down to 370 mains! Made a big difference in mileage and power,if it gets below 20F I have to watch it at about 7000Rpm cause there is a lean spot there. Ran it like that all last year with no problems. For yours I would try 390-400 and do a plug check to be sure its ok,should help your mileage quite abit.

·
Registered
915 Posts
By a tank of gas do you mean it runs out or by the gauge? As I remember the gauge on my old sled said empty long before it actually was. These sleds do like the gas and oil though

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the light comes on after 50 miles. but when i look in the tank it doesn't have very much in it. thanks for all your help i will try jetting it down and see what happens?

·
Registered
453 Posts
i doubt that if his tank was cracked he would easily smelll the gas leak and the gas would be gone over night

·
Registered
480 Posts
The original owner of my fusion put 400 jets in mine. I probably get close to 85 miles on a tank of gas.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm not sure what the size is of the tank but its not to small.lol the tank isn't cracked i checked it all out.

·
Registered
314 Posts
nhrider said:
The original owner of my fusion put 400 jets in mine. I probably get close to 85 miles on a tank of gas.
my 95 xlt gets over 100 for a tank!! and thats a tripple damn if newer sleds get that bad of milege im staying old skool!!!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Mine is essentially stock, i have gotten about 7-13ish mpgs, easily over 100mi/tank. It all depends on your driving conditions too, powder, hardpack, full-throttle, etc.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I doubt your fuel mileage is as bad as you think it is. Your gas tank should hold approx 11.5 gallons of gas. Fill it up, reset one of your trip meters on the dash. Go for a ride, when the gauge says empty come back and fill it up with gas again and see how many gallons of gas you actually put into the tank. I'd bet you are only down about 5 or 6 gallons. Then divide your miles by how many gallons of gas you used to get an approximate gas mileage. Then multiply that by 11 and that will be close to your maximum range on one tank of gas depending on conditions and other variables. Also you need to get your drive belt issues sorted out, this will severely impact fuel mileage.

The fuel gauges are way off on our sleds, you need to figure out how much gas you have left in the tank when it starts blinking empty.

·
Registered
915 Posts
^^^^ This is a good idea im sure its not as bad as you think You have to remember the tank goes under the seat too so when you look in there its kind of deceiving because most of the tank is in the bottom if that makes any sense

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
check if your carbs are synced too! that'll get ya

·
Registered
244 Posts
Polaris really dropped the ball making fuel gauges in 06, mine only reads to a half a tank. If any of you want to i can post how to fix the 06 gas gauges.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts