Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my 1990 Indy Trail (488cc, fan) I only get 80 miles per tank. My cousin has a 1997 Indy Trail and easily gets 120 miles per tank. We always ride together at the same pace why is his milage so much better???

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The jets must be the same if not very similar. I have no idea what the gearing is...that's a very interesting point.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Is your cousins sled a liquid? Liquids tend to do better on gas than fans

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both sleds are fan cooled. My brakes are not sticking, they were recently serviced by the dealer.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Well if your sled is stock you have a 7.3 gallon tank. Your cousin has a 10.7 gallon tank.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
i have the same problem my n my friend both got 600 tripples. his is a zrt 600 mines an xcr 600. mine got 38mm carbs n his got 36mm carbs but in the same distance mine burns $7 more. i wouldnt think the carbs would make that much diff.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
/snofan/../images/users/Seguin Interceptor/indy trail.jpg

This originally came on my sled when purchased back in 1990.

·
Registered
614 Posts
First check your plugs to see if your jets are to big. A lot of different factors to looks at. Weight, track tension, gears, clutching, ski type, etc. just a thought.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure on gearing, clutching is the same except the 1997 has a blue primary sprin. Both have metal skis with plastic skins. My track tension is adjusted right to spec. The jets are the ones that came from factory (plugs burn perfect).
The only real difference is that I weigh 60 pounds more than my cousin.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Hmmm,this says different.......

http://www.polarisman.com/channels/content/DisplayModel.cfm?ModelID=90SNOINDYTRAIL&Year=1990

But I would believe your sheet that came with sled. Weight could a something to do with it, but I can't imagine that much???
Could be a combination of weight, jetting and a 7 year newer sled with a tuned pipe that "breathes" easier and has been worked on over the years to achieve maximum efficiency

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's a strange difference. Maybe it is because mine is a canadian model??? I have put 40+ litres in many times...

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Yep sounds like you have the bigger tank so I would just take it as the latter part of my last post. I edited it, so it changed the last time you looked at it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
OK...just a bit here, If you guys ride together, it doesn't matter how big your tank is. If you ride the same distance as your cousin, you are using sim gas w/thesame amount of riding, you are getting less mileage, or kilometerage (LOL) as it were.

Mileage divided by fuel amount will yield fuel effiency.

Good luck,

DNO.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
its the same size tank doesn't atke a rocket scientist to see his mileage is that much worse. 60 pounds diff helps a little. Gearing could be an important part, maybe that his sled being newer is a little more efficient? better compression, cleaner and newer carb designs, as well as teh exhaust mentioned. Are you sure the selds produce the same power? ports on the cylinders are probably different along with ehads and any number of other htings. Sleds most likely weigh different amoutns as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts