Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my day just keeps getting better.

While working on my sled tonight I noticed I was unable to lay it on it's side without it leaking gas. Turns out that the tank is cracked by the fill hole. I know there were recalls for this for however it was not for my year\model. So I guess I am screwed, I will call the dealer tomorrow.

It is an 02 ZR 800 EFI.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a guy selling a tank on ebay, I am going to contact him.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Check out RV sports out of thief river falls, mn. I got a flyer from them and they had complete gas tanks and seats for cheap.

·
Registered
359 Posts
well not for nothing but i accidentally (and really really stupidly) drilled a hole in my tank when running new guards underneath. I put JB weld on it, then I covered that with some real tough gasket maker stuff and it hasn't leaked for 2 years, so there is an option for you.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I've also used JB Weld to fill a hole in my tank and it didn't leak. May not look the best with where your leak is.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to look at it tonight, My initial thoughts are to make on insert that slides into the neck to reinforce it from further cracking and then seal it with something.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Kinda like the Firecats? If the tanks are alike, amybe the dealership can sell you a ring from the recalls??????

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is what I was thinking also. I am going to check with them tomorrow. I think the fill area is the same.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Is it just a stress crack or what happened?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The neck fillers crack for some reason just from use. It looks like it is from removing a tight cap when the sled is cold.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found a place with a used one for $50.00. Going to pick it up tomorrow. I did fix my current one wil Seal-ALL, however I do not want to chance it since the crack is 3/4 they way around.

Seal-All seems like a pretty good product and says that it will handle -40, but for $50.00 I will have a little more piece of mind.

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/sealall.htm

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got back from Thomas Sno Sports in Ogilive MN, I was able to get a used gas tank with the re-inforced neck, engine/jackshaft mount and jackshaft bearing.

All of this for only $120.00, man am I happy. A new tank by itself was $175.00.

I also stopped by Shadetree and pick up some 8" Woody Carbides. I am finally going to be ready for winter. I thought I was 2 weeks ago unitl things started going bad.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
glad to hear you got a good deal

1 - 15 of 15 Posts