Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I meant to ask this last year but....

Where I ride high test gas (88 octane & higher) is hard to come by at small rural gas stations. Mostly it is 87 octane. Any owner's manual I've ever seen recommends higher octane gas. Anyone have any thoughts on either side of the coin????[?]

·
Registered
7 Posts
If your engine isn't tweeked to the edge I don't think you'll have a problem, from what I understand the higher the octane the cooler the the fuel will burn, the lower the octane the hotter it will burn. In my '01 XC700 manual I believe the recommended is 87 octane but each engine is different. Around here we usually run 89 octane with a 10% ethanol blend and don't seem to be having any problems. I put a set of slp cheater heads on so I am going to run their recommended 91 to start out. I'm no mechanic but I just thought I share my thoughts.

·
Registered
777 Posts
i put 6000 miles on 97 xlt,with 87 oct,pretty sure the manual says to use 87, using anything higher is just a saftey margin in case you get some bad gas less then 87,,,or those + 1c and up. and running hard, otherwise your wasting money and making less power on higher octane,

·
Registered
3 Posts
My sled burned a hole in the piston.The recomended octane is 95. since i cant get it at the pump i add octane boost. im hoping this will help my sled run cooler and not burn another piston.

·
Registered
777 Posts
mhahorn.
95 oct, must be a race sled ,Do yourself a favor and get a stock head for your sled to reduce the compression,as mentioned before oct boost is a joke,youll need 5 cans a tank,maybe it,ll live then
,1 gallon of tolulene to 10 gallons of 92 will only get you around 94.5.and thats if the 92 isn,t old bad gas.
by the way what is it

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
95 octane holy #%^&*& What kinda compression are you running?
100 LL would probably be cheaper than all that octane booster. If you have a small plane airport nearby. If not you will need to JET IT FATTER. If you burned it down you are running on the ragged edge to increase performance all the time. (Don't get me wrong nothing wrong with that.) But get EGT's if you are going to run that way. I have burned down the PTO cylinder on my T-Cat trying to squeeze that last little bit of power out of the engine. It gets spendy in a hurry.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
seems hard to beleive that a sled is recommended with a 95 oct...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts