Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Hay Days this past weekend and checked out the new drive system on the ZR 900.

My question is: With the secondary going straight to a gear box and eliminiating the jack shaft and chain. How would a person re-gear? I am guessing that there is no way to replace just the top or bottom gear in the box. Do both need to be replaced or do you buy a different box?

Also, is this the same setup as on the Blades?

/snofan/../images/users/baero/eyes2.gif

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
The end result is the same as on the Blades, but the way the gears work is different.

I know what you mean, i saw that ZR 900 drive system on display too and i was asking myself the same thing. I heard that with the 900's massive torque, they figure there would be no need to regear, but i dunno. I guess for now they are stuck with stock gearing.

·
Registered
553 Posts
On the other side (oposite the gear box) I guess you can change the ratio or something like that. I seen one today at a dealer and he mentioned something along those lines. Just cant remember what exactly. Told him still ride polaris. But I liked the concept of the no chain jackshaft. I guess it lightens it up and puts more of the power on the ground where ya want it.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I'm not going to even think about a new sled until someone comes out with a lightwieght drive system and a smooth Big twin or goes back to the hyper triples. (I know your saying to yourself he plans on keeping his sled a long time.) And I do. But if they can come out with a factory mountain sled that is in the realm of 400-425 and puts out 170+/- Hp I will consider changing up.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
It keeps me from wanting a new sled ever year or every other year. I know its a lot to ask but I think they will build it in the next 5 years.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You could probly buy all that stuff aftermarket and make yerself an aftermarket beast. It'd cost a hell of a lot but it'd kick ass.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
a tison sled or fabcraft sleds are in the 425 lbs range but 250 hp. only cost 25 grand and up. lol
they can change the gearing not to bad. the way it looks it there is a top gear that drops down to a planetary system. depending on how they designed the planetary you might be able to get a top gear and ring gear set up and use the same sun gear and planetary gears, if you have to buy all new guts it might get costly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts