Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... i know that a Top gear 20, Bottom gear 40, gives me 2.0:1 ratio And a Top gear 19, Bottom gear 38, gives me the same ratio, so how dose tork come into play,? whats the diffrence on how the diffrent selection of gears will preform, i know the ratio's are the same but i dont know what the pros and cons are between going with a bigger top V's smaller bottom,

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Won't matter, they will perform identically. No advantage or disadvantage to either setup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The bigger gears weigh more, have a higher rotating mass, and are more efficient because the chain wraps around a bigger diameter. Given the length of chain it might also be more efficient because the chain is straighter (tensioner doesn't have to push in so far). Torque is the same in your two examples.

Jon

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Yeah, but in this case we reduce the size of one gear and increase another, so I call it a wash.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
the larger gear combo will cause less wear on the chain. The smaller the top sprocket the more it and the chain will wear.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
i've heard that increasing both gears and keeping a relatively or identical ratio will help reduce the polaris chaincase whine. i can't remember where i read it but someone wrote an article on it that was on one of the forums, might have been snowest or something. other than that, the gear weight difference is beyond minimal as far as rotating mass and efficiency. the same ratio will do the same thing. and i'd agree with sno-x-treme about the wear. a larger sprocket has more contact area with the chain at one time. you should see this tiny little top sprocket that Sickler has with all the teeth torn off it, i think he said only a few teeth were touching the chain at once and it just spun the sprocket around ripping all the teeth off.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
One has more rotating mass...one has less.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts