Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 XC600 SP. My brother has a Edge X500 02 and he can kill me on the lake.

I'm messing with the gears but I'm not too sure on which way to go with them? I've been running it through my head trying to decide which way will make me get more top end. So my stock top gear is 22 teeth. I tried putting a 23 tooth in and I there was really no difference. Now I have a 21 tooth in and it doesn't really seem to effect anything eathier. I was just wondering if you would be able to give me some advice on how to set this up or where I could get more information about it??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
hey, a 21 tooth gear will give you more bottem end and take off, a 23 will give you more top end but you might have to go even more. Maybe even a 25 tooth gear.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
one tooth should gain about two mph. if you gear up to a 23-24 then put a little more wieght in it. or a clutch kit, than you will shift all the way out. you should be able to smoke him from the word go.

·
Registered
290 Posts
So you guys say that gearing up will add about 2mph top end per gear...yet you said that gearing down will help acceleration. Does this mean that gearing down would help your holeshot, but decrease your overall top end? Similarly, if gearing up adds top-end, what overall effect does it have on acceleration (w/o changing weights or a clutch kit)?
-SEF

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
it might slow it down a little but on a stock sled you might not notice it that much because stock clutching has a hard time holding the clutches all they way open.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what would be the best clutch kit to throw in this baby to give me the most top end but still have good bottom end?

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts