Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 XC600 SP. My brother has a Edge X500 02 and he can kill me on the lake.

I'm messing with the gears but I'm not too sure on which way to go with them? I've been running it through my head trying to decide which way will make me get more top end. So my stock top gear is 22 teeth. I tried putting a 23 tooth in and I there was really no difference. Now I have a 21 tooth in and it doesn't really seem to effect anything eathier. I was just wondering if you would be able to give me some advice on how to set this up or where I could get more information about it??

Thanks

·
Registered
637 Posts
Here's a link to a great article about gearing.. http://www.snoriderswest.com/features/tech_talk/tech_talk6.htm

23 is the right way for more MPH..

Is your brothers 500 a SP..?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That article is ok, but it doesn't go very far in depth on which ways to go to get more top end.

My bro's sled is a spring pre-ordered sled. It's just the X package, it's not an XC!

·
Registered
637 Posts
It gives you a formula to calculate MPH.. The more teeth you add to the top the more MPH aka a taller gear.. but there is a trade off taller gear less acceleration.. If you go to tall you might not have enough power to pull the whole gear.. then you'll end up with less acceleration and less top speed..

The reason I ask about your bro's sled.. I wondering if it's valved VES (the '02 XC 500 SP EDGE has VES and the XC 500 EDGE does not I don't know where that leaves the X?) Anyways if it has VES it's probably making more power than your 600 anyways......

·
Registered
124 Posts
If your bro's sled is an EDGE X 500, then yes it does have the valves. Horsepowerwise, that motor and your Big Block 600 should have similar top end power. I haven't ridden a 500 with the valves, so I can't comment on the seat of the pants feel.

However, I've got a blown up '98 XC600 which has the same motor as yours. I would think that the 600 should have a stronger seat of the pants feel, torquewise. At least with my sled, the throttle felt like a toggle switch, with an incredible mid range burst of power at about 6000 RPM. Again, seat of the pants feel, the only sled that I've ridden that felt stronger in the midrange was an '01 XC 800. (included in my comparisons are: '02 XC800, '03 PRO-X 600, '00 ZR 600, '00 Thundercat, '99 XC500).

You might want to get yourself a good clutch kit, that may be your problem. Perhaps your helix is set up more for low end. How fast will your's run on the speedo? I've had mine (bone stock with 2900 miles) up to around 110 on the speedo, and she blew at 105 in less than a 1/2 mile sprint... All around, I really believe that this is a great motor, you'll get her tuned in. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey there,

My bro's sled does has the VES. So we should be running roughly the same Horsepower. But on the lake, we are even for about 3 sled lengths and then he is gone. When I first got my XC, on the speedo I could get around 110, but now it's topping out at 95..with a 21 tooth top gear.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
okay correct me if i'm wrong but Polaris makes a 500Xc (no VES), a 500 XCSP (with VES).....Now your said your brothers is an Edge X....i hate to be the one to tell you but that the same as the XCSP 500....the only thing that the X package has that the XCSP dosent is wide runing boards...So it makes no diffrence whether its an XCSP or and edge X...same sled.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you have lost 15 mph, then it sounds like maybe the clutches are getting tired or something. Its time to find out what is wrong, and get that beast back to where she should be.

Anyone else have any opinions here??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anybody else tell me what's the best way to get my sled running back to where it once was and allow me to beat my bro's 500.

Just so you all know...the 500 can beat a thundercat in a 1/4 mile. Also beats a 700 MXZ, 600 ZR, never raced any 700 cats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what would be the best clutch kit to throw in this baby to give me the most top end but still have good bottom end?

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts