Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I"m looking at dropping two teeth in the top sprocket of my sled for more low end power.

How would I go about doing this? I know i will need a chain tool. Do I just unbolt the chaincase, undo the chain and take off the old sprocket?

Does anyone know a good write up on how to gear a sled?

Any tips or tricks you have?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
i am not so good with ratios, but if you drop 2 teeth you have to buy a shorter chain unless you can take it up with the tensioner, you cant cut the chain, atleast i have never seen/heard of it done

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Do a search on the forum.

Read this short little thread, specifically Post #11
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/118093-gearing#1188771
After reading, if you still can't figure out the concepts, then you need more help than I can give.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
thanks for posting that link helped me out a bunch

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
keep in mind that chain ratio has nothing to do with engine rpm until the clutchs are shifted all the way out.

if you started at a 3:1 ratio every sled will get quicker as you get closer to the 2:1 ratio, then as you get under the 2:1 and head towards the 1.5:1 ratio most sleds will start to get slower in terms of drag racing.
on the average trail sled, if you geared the sled at 1.5 ratio or a 2.0 ratio you might not notice any top end difference, and you might not notice any difference in mpg. in fact alot of trail sleds will gain a few mph and better economy around the 1.8 area vs the 1.5 area.

you have a cvt transmission. so once you are rolling gear ratio means nothing other than load feed back through the secondary. good clutching will compensate for different gear ratios.

there is no proven setup that works magic. most sleds really like the 1.8 area. there is no solid link saying that if you gear taller you will go faster. or if you gear lower you will go quicker. on a car yes, on a sled no.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts