Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
Just bought a 99 XC700. THe previous owner had geared it lower. It has a stock track... .91".
I do alot of ditch riding and am in deep snow alot. Recently while riding in ND(where i go to college) i noticed that i'm running really high RPM's just to keep her spinnin fast enough. I just hate to run her in the 7500-8000 rpm range for such long periods of time.
Should i gear it back to stock (higher) or re-track it with a 1.25 or more if possible.
I'm only loosing 10mph or so on the top end with the current gearing and i'm not too concerned about the loss of speed...95 is plenty fast in the ditches. A new track is a lot of $$ and i hate to make a mistake.

ANy advice is welcome.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
nope, you'll be at those same RPMS. The reason is power, that's where your motor makes it's power....

Your motor will run all day all night at those RPMS, as long as it's got gas, oil, and not overheating.

-Dean

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Yep just like ripperd2 said you can run those rpms all day and all night,they were made to run that high..

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Before I got my ZRT I was using my dad's Indy Classic 500, I ran it for about 3 hours straight around 7500 to 8000 RPM, I was trying to keep up with a 700 XC, and a 800 ZR, and it was fine so i'd say leave it how it is.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Sounds to me like the clutch set-up matches the powerband of the motor really well. As Ripperd said you can ride it all day long at those R's. I try to keep my T-Cat at around 8400-8600 R's thats where it makes it power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts