Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i am looking to gear down, because i am goin to a 136" track this year, and i am looking for better bottom end. I am driving an 02 Polaris 800, right now my sledd will do 100-105mph, as long as i can hit 85-90 i will be happy. What gearing changes would you recommend from stock? (i think it might be 25/40)

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Your stock set up is 25/40which is a ratio of 1.60 and should hit 107.4 mph.

A 21/40 gear set up will put you at a ratio of 1.90 and a speed of 90.2 mph.
21/43 will give you a ratio of 2.05 and a speed of 84 mph.
22/43 will give you a ratio of 1.95 and a speed of 88 mph.

There are lots of combos you can go with.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
http://www.rtb2.com/RogerBzXCR/sled_sprocket.htm

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Ok your gears are 25/41 and you have the 7.92 chain case so you just go from there and check out the possible combos you can run.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by radianguy
[br]Ok your gears are 25/41 and you have the 7.92 chain case so you just go from there and check out the possible combos you can run.
that's cool radianguy, but how do you get from the ratio to the top speed for each ratio?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I have a different chart here that I copied from a service manual that gives the speed for each ratio.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by radianguy
[br]I have a different chart here that I copied from a service manual that gives the speed for each ratio.
I'm better now, I thought maybe you had the mathmatical equation for figuring the top speed.

I guess it would be easier just to look it up in the manual huh.[:D]

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'd like to up the ratio just to give my ride an incredible holeshot, I too don't care about going 100Mph.

A 23/41 will give me a 1.78 ratio...I can keep the 76 pitch chain... but what does it do for acceleration vs. a 1.64 ratio...??
A little? noticable? too much??

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I always thought that a lower ratio would increase acceleration and reduce top end, a higher ratio will reduce acceleration and increase top end. correct me if I'm wrong guys, the farther you move from stock the more you are going to notice the changes droping 1 to 2 teeth on the top gear is in most cases enough to notice a change in the performance. just my .02 as stated before feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Wasnt there a website that could figure all of the gearing ratios and top speeds posted a while ago?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Everybody in sledding spends thousands of dollars on sleds,gear gas lodging etc.The best thing you could ever buy is the service manual for your sled.50$ brand new.The best money you will ever spend for your sled.All the charts and info. you will ever need.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I did order a manual... it's been 2 weeks...and counting. The dealer has no idea when it will show up.

I guess I will sit and wait around with my sled apart. Maybe I will get it before the snow flies. Thanks for your help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.