Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2001 600xcsp and want to get more hole shot by buying a new gear. Don't want to buy a new chain and if I can do it with one gear that would be best for cost reasons. How many teeth do I have now? What should I buy? Teeth? Pitch? Not sure what pitch does so if someone can explain that I'd also appreciate it... and where can I buy it? I've heard drop a tooth or two on the top... is that right? How big a difference will this make?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Your gears are 23/39 with a 74 pitch chain. You could go 22/40 and use the same chain, that should be a noticable difference. Not much you can do with just changing one gear.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does the pitch of the chain do and where is a good spot online to order some gears?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The pitch is the length of the chain. Not sure about ordering parts online , maybe e-bay, dennis kirk, royal distributing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Radian... appreciate it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
23/40 is excellent. You have to grind a little off of back of chain tensioner to make it fit but you get little dog leg and no whine. If you make too much change you will have add more weight to primary. A good clutch kit would be better money spent because stock gearing is good.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of clutch kit would you recommend Thinksno? I've got a 136" extension... mostly trail ride and some boondocking... don't really care too much about top speed other than I don't want to be rediculouly behind on the long straights...

·
Registered
807 Posts
I see now that you have 136 1.25" track and that changes loading and clutch efficiency. Gearing and clutching changes can help you have a stump puller.

Primary
Simply adding weight to primary with stock spring would be a big improvement, if you are 160-190lbs try 62's -200 lbs plus you may need 60 gram weights. A lot of guys like the Polaris almond blue spring (150/310) with the 60's and black white (140/320) with the 62's.

Secondary
If you want to improve secondary clutch, the stock helix is an R11 which works ok but has a very short initial angle duration which makes it a mild cut. The number one helix for your sled is a Hot Seat 34X (50/34) cut that is very agressive and the matching spring is a HSP orange #2 or 3 hole.

Gearing
23/39 (1.69) is stock and the long deep lug track does require re gearing in order to get clutches shifting. 22/39 will give you a wicked dogleg and I don't recommend. 22/41 (1.86) with tensioner modified is best, 22/40 (1.82) next then 23/40 (1.74)with tensioner modified is last.

If you stud and have auxilary cooler- protect it.

Lots of good used parts around if you go looking. Good luck.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered up the 22/40's last night and will put those in... I am 250 lbs. and probably more like 275lbs. with riding clothes and helmet, etc. I think there is a blue spring in my primary already but will verify and look into the clutch weights... How do I tell what weights I have? How do these weights attach? I will probably wait on secnodary work until after the season... no studs on my track or plans for them. All I need now is to get this thing back together and get some snow to try it out! Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
You need to remove the weights to find out what weight they are. There is a number stamped on them 10-58 is stock for your sled. To remove the weights you need to first take of your drive belt then collapse your primary clutch. You can do this with a medium sized pry bar. Be careful, once it's collapsed put a socket in place to keep it open to work on. Remove the nut on the pin and pull out the pin that the weight is on , then you can remove the weight. Repaet this for all 3 weights.

I'd suggest a set of 10-60 weights for your sled, because you are a bigger guy. You could also try an almond/blue polaris primary spring.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just weighed myself yesterday Bobby... 249.5... Hopefully cut that down a bit but that never seems to work... It's tough for me to keep up with the little guys because of my weight so I need all the little tricks I can muster... hell, Beste is 100 pounds lighter just with rider weight... it's tough to keep up with the little guys on the same size sleds...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts