Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious how much regearing will effect your clutch setup? I changed my gearing from 1.75:1 to 2:1 and installed 136" track and sled is falling on face in top end. I've been thinking about trying another helix, but can't afford to buy a couple just to try and find out they aren't gonna work.
I think my tach is off too. My wot rpms should be 9200 and I never saw above 5200 yesterday. Tach says clutch engages at 4500 rpm? Weird **** lol. How can I test my tach to see if it's functioning properly?
We're talking about a 96 rxl (650 efi) triple piped and chipped. Gearing is now 2:1 and should be spinning 9200 rpm wot.

·
Registered
855 Posts
What helix, weights, spring, are you running now.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
riley can check your tach pretty cheap for you.

with 2:1 gear ratio the falling flat on its face might be because you are shifting out all the way?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure what my helix is, what ever is stock. Even though I've read it explained I couldn't tell you about helix angles lol.
Primary has aaen orange spring with 10mb weights.
Secondary has aaen yellow spring in center hole.

At wot if I let off the throttle about a 1/4" it sounds awesome. But if I put it back to the bar it bogs and sounds like a$$. I assume it's the helix due to my gearing but not sure, and not sure where to start either.
Even though my tach only said 5200 I know the engine was cranking higher than that, I'll swap the tach and see what my other tach says.
Any input/help on clutching greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Huh noone knows?? [xx(]

I'm starting to wonder if I should put my stock gears back in lol. I originally changed gearing to keep up with newer sleds in the low end, I'd like to keep it this way.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I've also had a recent experience with a busted tach. My brothers 732 wouldn't crank over 8000 RPM, but the sled felt like it was absolutely ripping, and he was always trying to get that final 1000 to 1400 RPM. But never could, so we just decided to swap the tach because it was sticking on the 1000 RPM when the engine was off. Bam now we get the full range, and the sled rips like hell!

Also I've been having difficulties nailling down a clutch setup as well. But my senario sounds different.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hows that bb kit working out? I've been watching for a thread on it, did I miss it?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Geesh noone knows what I should try for clutching???

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by GotMud
[br]Hows that bb kit working out? I've been watching for a thread on it, did I miss it?
It has it's querks right now, but the potential is there. When I go riding I'll make a vid for ya.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Originally posted by Triple650Indy
[br]
[br]Hows that bb kit working out? I've been watching for a thread on it, did I miss it?
It has it's querks right now, but the potential is there. When I go riding I'll make a vid for ya.
Not the vid for ya, but for us[:D][}:)][;)] Braaaaaaap!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by STEVE650
[br]
Originally posted by Triple650Indy
[br]
Not the vid for ya, but for us[:D][}:)][;)] Braaaaaaap!
^^^ yeah I've been waiting to hear how it works lol. There is an ebay store that sells the sleeve for the bb kit to make 732 cc. It won't fit my cylinders but I may switch cylinders depending on how yours works out.

As for my clutching I'm going to do some reading today and figure out another helix to try. If it isn't any better I may go back to stock gearing. I really love the pull outta the whole with this setup though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts