Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you go one less tooth on the top sprocket, you will have all kinds of low end power and qickness, not much top end though, if you want a little top end, leave the top gear alone and go one tooth smaller on the bottom gear.
O.K. Here is my question? I have 19 teeth on the top sprocket and 35 on the bottom. I went to get a smaller bottom but none in stock. If i went higher on the top say 20 and down two to 33 on bottom will that help me get more top end.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Originally posted by lttlbrch
[br]if you go one less tooth on the top sprocket, you will have all kinds of low end power and qickness, not much top end though, if you want a little top end, leave the top gear alone and go one tooth smaller on the bottom gear.
As is my ususual practice, I call bullshit. Never in my life have I seen a sled lose any top end by gearing down one tooth from stock. Also I have never seen a sled gain any top speed by only changing from stock gearing. If there is anything left from your engine to be used to go faster by way of gear changing you will know it because you will over rev running flat out in its current configuration. If your sled currently does not over rev at top speed, the only thing that will happen if you use a smaller bottom sprocket is you will lose some holeshot. You will NOT gain top speed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Up to a point it's all math and ratios, how can your top speed not change if your rpms stay the same but your ratio has? I know going down 1 tooth on the top sproket cut my top end by at least 5mph.
I went went from 40 to 41 on bottom and 24 to 23 on top and it killed my top end but is awesome out of the hole.
If your motor can carry a smaller bottom gear you will go faster.
Try and keep your chain as short as possible, thats why I went up on the bottom and down on top using the same chain.
Watch ebay for cheap gears.
Just my opinion[;)]

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
What kind of sled is running 19/35 gears stock? That is a 1.8421 gear ratio a 20/33 set up is 1.65 IMO you would have to have one hell of a motor and some really light clutch weights to pull that gearing. If it is strictly a drag sled you might be able to pull it off but if you change your gear ratio that much you will need to set aside the time to tune the clutch not to mention the money for the parts. Helix springs weights and the know how to use them. There is a lot more to making your sled perform at it maximum potential than just gearing. What altitude/temp are you at etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
my sled gained 2 mph for every tooth i went up. also when it shifted full out it would pull the rpms down because it wanted to keep shifting the primary and the secondary was past overdrive already, and that was on machined helixs made for more overdrive. I run somewhere around a 1.48 -1.52 for speed running, for trail I would stay close to 1.58-1.6. thats a little low for top end with the hp i have, but nothing made on the showroom floor can stay with it long enough to need top end.

i agree that, that is a huge step in gearing, you might end up with a long bog on take off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts