Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm riding a 95 XLT 600 sks and I'm planning on changing the gear set-up...possibly to a faster take off...
Though I am not clear on what would be the best set up regarding tooth size etc....the reason I'm doing this is that most of my riding involves jumping the sled...not your average day jumps....mostly cliff drops/ski centre park jumps etc...if anyone could help me out here, maybe someone has geared a sled like mine already, or maybe I'm on the wrong path in gearing a jumping sled??.....any help would be greatly appreciated..... Thanks

PS. I was checking out some info...would a 18/40 ratio fit??....

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Gearing down to an 18/40 will definately help the bottom end, You will need to adjust your clutching to take advantage of the change one possiblity is to change the helix for back shift/up shift. There are more qualified people on the board to discuss gearing and clutching of an XLT than I am.

·
Registered
777 Posts
will it fit
2.22 18 40 66
ratio gears chain pitch

ya it will fit, with quite a top end drop though

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe the stock gearing on the sled is 19/39....I'm thinking more on the lines of 18/39 now...I think 18/40 will cause too much of a drop in top end.
Also I heard that with a gearing change one does not need to touch the clutching set-up. Something to do with the clutch being a torque sensoring clutch??...Any truth to be heard here?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you reccomend changing the chain when switching gears?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
changing the chain is not necessary if it is still in the recommended length. Your dealer should be able to help you out here. Obviously if you go smaller and smaller, you will run into the chain being too long and the adjuster not being able to take all the slack out of the chain. Now onto the problem at hand.

My sled is obviously the Triumph, and basically it is just a newer model XLT. Stock gearing in my sled was 21-39, I have since dropped to a 20-39, and am possibly moving to a 20-40 this year to see if there is any difference. I am by no means an expert on jumping but how fast do you plan to go when hitting these jumps? With a 20-40 you should still be able to see 90 mph or close to it. I personally am caring less and less about top end and more about acceleration so i am choosing to gear down. But last i checked 90 mph would be more than enough speed to jump with. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
If that's still the original chain you might want to change it with the gears just so you don't have to worry about it breaking and destroying your chaincase.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by TriumphoverU
[br]changing the chain is not necessary if it is still in the recommended length. Your dealer should be able to help you out here. Obviously if you go smaller and smaller, you will run into the chain being too long and the adjuster not being able to take all the slack out of the chain. Now onto the problem at hand.

My sled is obviously the Triumph, and basically it is just a newer model XLT. Stock gearing in my sled was 21-39, I have since dropped to a 20-39, and am possibly moving to a 20-40 this year to see if there is any difference. I am by no means an expert on jumping but how fast do you plan to go when hitting these jumps? With a 20-40 you should still be able to see 90 mph or close to it. I personally am caring less and less about top end and more about acceleration so i am choosing to gear down. But last i checked 90 mph would be more than enough speed to jump with. Hope this helps
I'm looking for a better acceleration out of the sled which will result in a faster approach to a jump in short distances....another reason is that with the drop in gears I will get a better pull in the deep powder when I need it...so I'm looking to not drop it so low that I end up with a sled maxing out at 55-60mph...but more on the lines of 70-80mph...as of now I'm think 18/40 or 18/39 would be the best for what I'm riding....does anyone know if the chain tensioner will be able to take the slack of the chain with these gears?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
If you run 18:39 you can use the original length chain without any problems, and will top out at close to 80 mph according to my polaris repair manual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts