Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
pritty sure you can. on my 88 indy i have a 19 39 and the same chain was used. (not my doing it was like that when i got it.) the chain has a lot of slop in it but the slack adjuster makes up for it.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
check your adjuster before you take it apart to make sure there is still room for adjustment but you shouuld be able to use the same chain.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
You can use the same chain, it will just have a little slack in it so you will need to adjust the tensioner, its best to get a new chain but not needed if you adjust it correctly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I pulled it apart and its not the same as my other one. This one is 22-41 and hyvo gears. Will 1 off the top do about the same?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Someone correct me if i'm wrong but won't dropping a tooth size on the top gear it higher?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It will make it lower. As in faster acceleration slower top speed. But dont know if just 1 off will be noticeable

·
Registered
161 Posts
bogger333 said:
It will make it lower. As in faster acceleration slower top speed. But dont know if just 1 off will be noticeable
I believe 1 tooth on the top is like 2 on the bottom.

·
Registered
85 Posts
SledHed89 said:
i have an 01 edge x 600 and i was going to go from 23-39 to 22-40 i should be able to use the same chain right?
haha ya i have an 02 classic 700 and i had the same ratio to you and haha i just changed the ratio to exactly what you are also haha you can use the same chain with no problems

·
Registered
85 Posts
polaris_johndeere said:
SledHed89 said:
i have an 01 edge x 600 and i was going to go from 23-39 to 22-40 i should be able to use the same chain right?
haha ya i have an 02 classic 700 and i had the same ratio to you and haha i just changed the ratio to exactly what you are also haha you can use the same chain with no problems
how did u like the new gearing? ik u have a 700 but did u see a big difference in low end

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I put the 21-41 gears in and has no top end. Its about 75mph top end. but gets there fast. Going to try 22 top and 40 bottom. Does this sound better?

·
Registered
85 Posts
SledHed89 said:
polaris_johndeere said:
SledHed89 said:
how did u like the new gearing? ik u have a 700 but did u see a big difference in low end
ya there was a huge difference lost about ten miles an hours off top end so i can just barely get to a hundred now but it pulls and i mean hard i love it

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
bogger333 said:
I put the 21-41 gears in and has no top end. Its about 75mph top end. but gets there fast. Going to try 22 top and 40 bottom. Does this sound better?
21/41 = 1.95:1 ratio, and will have a better hole-shot

22/40 = 1.81:1 ratio, and will have a better top end

·
Registered
38 Posts
I put 20/39 gears in my 1998 xlt ltd and went with a 66 pitch chain from the stock 68. it pulls awsome but it lost alot off the top end but i can keep up with my brothers zr800, well for a little while now.. lol.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Can usually go 1 tooth less on top without issues. It's better to go 1-2 teeth more on the bottom sprocket if possible. Less "dog-leg" in the chain is more efficient.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I went 1 tooth lower on my 500 sks with reverse.. no issues.. i would have liked to go bigger on the bottom sprocket as well, but thats not an option with reverse.. i could care less about top end as i do alot of slow bush riding and towing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts