Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am reading a lot of questions of can I gear down, what gearing for racing?
Gearing on the chart will lose or gain top end. Jackshaft speed is everything in a snowmobile. If you are going to race anything, gear for the distance. Gearing for the trail you can drop until you do a pull on hard pack lake at high speed if your tach starts to climb then you have shifted out and have enough power to keep speeding up. If you change nothing but just gear down to the next step you have gained a lot. Less sensitivity to temp., hard pack or powder driver wieght. I did a little math on my sled and going from a 24-39 to a 23-40 sled gives me 10lb/ft of torque extra at the drive axle. thats the same as adding 800dollars in pipes jetting and clutching.
You will also increase belt life because the starting load is less and at any speed on the trail you engine is a little higher in the r's putting more force on the belt.
when you pick gears check chain length for them gears most people can up the bottom sprocket and down the top one with a stock chain you dealer will have a chart to help you out.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
what kind of sled do you have?

There's no stopping Arctic Cat........ REALLY!!

'99 XC SP 500

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a 2000 xcr 800 polaris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts