Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for information on the gearing of a indy trail 488, i have a larger track and i want more torque. i know its not a big performance sled but i need a little more becasuse i cant buy a new one. but im just wondering what gears are on it and what should i go to.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
What year is your trail?
You could drop 2 teeth from the top sprocket, that should be fun. Will know more when you tell the year of your sled.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a 1997

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Stock gearing for your sled is 21/39 with a 66 pitch chain. You could try a 20/40 and keep the same chain, usually -1,+1 is a nice difference. I just did a -1,+1 on my sled will know more on it if we ever get snow.[:(!]

You could even go 19/39 and keep your chain, that would be the cheaper route to go if your bottom gear is in good shape.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks for the help, do u think i could drop a 600 into it.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
It would be alot of work! You 'll need to add all of the cooling system, change the motor,carbs,cdi,clutching/gearing...It would be alot easier and cheaper to sell your trail and buy a 600.

·
Registered
19 Posts
some sleds you cant fit a bigger bottom sprocket onto it so you have to go two smaller on the top. putting a 600 in would b a big project because you would have to install all the coolers and everything for the liquid engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts